starting strength gym

Thread: Gym in Athens, Ohio?

Default Gym in Athens, Ohio?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'll be back in my hometown for a wedding in September and will need to lift a couple of times. Has anyone been to any of the gyms in the area?

Google tells me there's a place conveniently located right in town called Extreme Performance & Weight Loss. It appears to have at least the bare minimum that I'd need (albeit with kind of weird hours).

There's also a place up the road 20 minutes called Canal Street Barbell Club. I like the sound of it, but there's very little info posted.

Anyone been to either place, or some other alternative (i.e. the community center), and have a recommendation?

I've never been to Athens, but what about the fitness center at Ohio University?

http://www.ohio.edu/wellworks/fitness.html

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I've never been to Athens, but what about the fitness center at Ohio University?

http://www.ohio.edu/wellworks/fitness.html
    Ah, nice. Not sure how I didn't turn that up....

The OU gym looks like a winner. Cheap, good hours, easy location. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Nic Lane View Post
    The OU gym looks like a winner. Cheap, good hours, easy location. Thanks again!
    No problem. Coincidentally I'll be traveling to Albany, OR next week from Ohio. Any suggestions on a half-decent gym in Albany?

I haven't been to Albany proper, but there's a gym called Downing's in Corvallis about 15 minutes away. It's just machines up front but they have a few platforms, lots of bumpers, 2-3 racks (including a monolift), a sled and maybe a little strongman stuff in the back. I think they provide chalk too.

I was only there once a couple of years ago, but I thought they were friendly and well-equipped.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic Lane View Post
    I haven't been to Albany proper, but there's a gym called Downing's in Corvallis about 15 minutes away. It's just machines up front but they have a few platforms, lots of bumpers, 2-3 racks (including a monolift), a sled and maybe a little strongman stuff in the back. I think they provide chalk too.

I was only there once a couple of years ago, but I thought they were friendly and well-equipped.
    Sounds better than my normal gym. Thanks!