starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst workout so far

Question Worst workout so far

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok a little background, I am 5 9, currently 208lbs, take in 230-280g protein everyday, I take scivation xtend for bcaas, shitty gnc creatine 189, and 48g whey daily.

Today was my third attempt at 280lb on the squat. Monday resulted in 280x5, x0, x2. Wednesday resulted in 280x5, x5, x4. So naturally I figured that today getting one more rep would be no problem. Today was my first workout in weightlifting shoes. My warm ups went well and then I got to my work sets. I attempted 2 work sets and got stapled on the first rep both times. My back was sore as hell from Wednesday but I figured I should push through it. So this is 3 fails at the same weight which tells me I should take 10% iff the bar and work back up, but since today was such a hard fail, should I just discount it all together and repeat this same exact workout (squat, bench, dl) on monday? I failed my first two sets on bench on the second rep. At that point I just called a spade a spade and didn't bother with deads since I felt like I had absolutely no strength whatsoever. I obviously was not recovered from Wednesday, so what do you guys think? Deload squats and continue with my next scheduled workout? Try squats again at 280, but press and clean on monday? Or fuck todays workout, do it over on Monday like it didn't even happen?

Quote Originally Posted by JasPChuff View Post
    Ok a little background, I am 5 9, currently 208lbs, take in 230-280g protein everyday, I take scivation xtend for bcaas, shitty gnc creatine 189, and 48g whey daily.

Today was my third attempt at 280lb on the squat. Monday resulted in 280x5, x0, x2. Wednesday resulted in 280x5, x5, x4. So naturally I figured that today getting one more rep would be no problem. Today was my first workout in weightlifting shoes. My warm ups went well and then I got to my work sets. I attempted 2 work sets and got stapled on the first rep both times. My back was sore as hell from Wednesday but I figured I should push through it. So this is 3 fails at the same weight which tells me I should take 10% iff the bar and work back up, but since today was such a hard fail, should I just discount it all together and repeat this same exact workout (squat, bench, dl) on monday? I failed my first two sets on bench on the second rep. At that point I just called a spade a spade and didn't bother with deads since I felt like I had absolutely no strength whatsoever. I obviously was not recovered from Wednesday, so what do you guys think? Deload squats and continue with my next scheduled workout? Try squats again at 280, but press and clean on monday? Or fuck todays workout, do it over on Monday like it didn't even happen?
    If you got 280 x 5, 0, 2, you likely screwed up your own workout by not resting long enough. You got 5,5,4 the next time. Then you threw on brand new weightlifting shoes you'd never squatted in and got stapled. You aren't stalled, you're just screwing up your workouts. If you're going to deload, do it to give yourself a chance to adjust your form to the shoes, not because you can't hit 280 for 3 x 5.

cutlet# Guest

Ok, so something is very inconsistent here. It's either your form, your recovery, or your rest times between sets. How old are you? Have you done any form checks?

If im not mistaken I think the protocol is deload the % and ramp back up, this can be done twice (i think), then if you are still having trouble, add a light squat day in the middle, there are some others in the book you can use after that but those are the first 2 I remember. I would just go with the next scheduled session.

Fail on bench and or the press has a slightly different protocol if I remember correctly. Do you have the SSBBT and PPFST latest addition?
    If so check out pages 95-98 in PPFST that should give you all the protocols for stalling/plateauing and in the order they go.

If you don't have the books I would make sure to pick them up they are a wealth of info.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Ok, so something is very inconsistent here. It's either your form, your recovery, or your rest times between sets. How old are you? Have you done any form checks?
    Did a form check at 275, was instructed to get shoes, use a more narrow stance with toes pointed out more, and set my knees half way down. Wednesday everything was good with stance and knees in my chucks, felt really good actually. I usually rest 7 to 10 minutes between worksets depending on how I felt. Is there anything particular that should change when switching from chucks to a shoe with a raised heel (mine are .60inches)? I did notice on my warm ups it was a lot easier to set my knees earlier and get down the rest of the way by sittng back and leaning forward. I tape myself each workout and watch the film between sets.

Quote Originally Posted by freddie75104 View Post
    If im not mistaken I think the protocol is deload the % and ramp back up, this can be done twice (i think), then if you are still having trouble, add a light squat day in the middle, there are some others in the book you can use after that but those are the first 2 I remember. I would just go with the next scheduled session.

Fail on bench and or the press has a slightly different protocol if I remember correctly. Do you have the SSBBT and PPFST latest addition?
    If so check out pages 95-98 in PPFST that should give you all the protocols for stalling/plateauing and in the order they go.

If you don't have the books I would make sure to pick them up they are a wealth of info.
    I have both books, this was a first fail at a new weight on bench. I know about adding a light squat day or going to 5x1,5x2@80% for squats and going 3x3 for presses, I am going to go through two stalls and deloads before I change the programming for any lift.

Just do the re-set and get used to the shoes, like Adam said. You'll blow through this weight in 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Just do the re-set and get used to the shoes, like Adam said. You'll blow through this weight in 2-3 weeks.
    Will do thanks for the vote of confidence, Im really hoping to get 350 out of LP and I think I have alot of time as a novice left.

I have both books, this was a first fail at a new weight on bench. I know about adding a light squat day or going to 5x1,5x2@80% for squats and going 3x3 for presses, I am going to go through two stalls and deloads before I change the programming for any lift.
    Right on, just trying to help, I cant believe that a shoe just a little over 1/2" could cause that much trouble, but I digress.

starting strength coach development program
    Right on, just trying to help, I cant believe that a shoe just a little over 1/2" could cause that much trouble, but I digress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast