starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate HLM Variant

Default Intermediate HLM Variant

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi Andy -

Was hoping you might offer a thought on this HLM model I put together, which pulled heavily from PPSTV3.

Presses are my real sticking point, so I've added some volume on the M day, as well as some situps. Right now I have 5x5 on the L day, but maybe I should cycle a few heavy doubles or triples instead of 5x5?

It's not too bad yet, but I'm only two weeks in. Is this sustainable for some time? I'd like to hit a 405 for reps across sets, a 315 bench, a 200lb press and a 600lb deadlift for one. Don't really care about chins.

I'm 35, M, 205lbs.

Finished SSLP at 335 squat (3x5), 500 DL (for 1), 265 bench (3x5), 140 press (3x5) and about 75lbs on 3x5 chins.

I've asked a few folks and so far the response has been that it's too much volume.

Thank you

JGAMA HLM Program 2017 - Google Sheets

Doesn't look terrible. You'll just have to run it and see and adjust as you go

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Doesn't look terrible. You'll just have to run it and see and adjust as you go
    Thank you. When the 5x5s become unmanageable, is that when you recommend cycling 5s, 3s and 1s, on a weekly basis?

Thanks again.