starting strength gym
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Narrow minds think alike...

cacafuego Guest

Lightbulb Narrow minds think alike...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    But what advantage is there in squatting with eccentric-isometric-concentric/amortization in the hole and pulling from a dead stop and no stretch reflex? Why not squat from pins and pull with a eccentric-isometric-concretic reversal/stretch reflex like a RDL? Or why don't we perform both lifts from a dead stop or both with a stretch reflex? Aside from specificity to raw powerlifting competitions the convention seems completely arbitrary

There's not really a way to elicit a stretch reflex in a deadlift off the floor. People do RDLs and paused squats and squats from pins, even here in this backwater bastion of narrow-mindedness. It's not very important for novices to do them, but they have their place in other programs. Welcome back, Will.

Why not squat from pins and pull with a eccentric-isometric-concretic reversal/stretch reflex like a RDL?
    Do your heavy pulls like this for a while and report back. Remind your erectors that the "narrow-minded" approach is "arbitrary".

cacafuego Guest

So that's the essence if my question: why is it important for novices to do them this certain way particularly when they have no competitions to prepare for in the near future? If the goal is to lift as much weight as possible then it makes sense to deadlift with a reversal -- perhaps standing on an elevated surface for full ROM. Thr stretch reflex allows for heavier loads. Sorry, you have mistaken me for someone else :/

Can the lower back and erectors not adapt like any other body part? I think many people do not keep their spine in extension but otherwise there is no danger.

but otherwise there is no danger.
    If you really believe this, then fucking try it. What's your working set in the deadlift? Do something like an RDL from the pins with something close to that weight. Film it. Report back. If you're going to be contrarian and attack convention...do it right; do it convincingly. Change my mind.

cacafuego Guest

You mad, bro? I do perform them this way and even with a history of back issues my back has never felt better.

What would a video prove to you? Or do u just want to see me bend over?

Squatting with a stretch reflex and deadlifting from the floor allow you to handle the largest weight through full ROM. That should be enough of a reason for a reasonable person.

Quote Originally Posted by cacafuego View Post
    You mad, bro? I do perform them this way and even with a history of back issues my back has never felt better.

What would a video prove to you? Or do u just want to see me bend over?
    Nope, not the slightest bit angry. The fitness industry is clogged with weak trainers & CSCS's who spew forth content from the NASM & NSCA. Every now and again they'll pop up on this board...you're fitting the profile. And rather than yammering theoretical, show us. Bro.

cacafuego Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    Squatting with a stretch reflex and deadlifting from the floor allow you to handle the largest weight through full ROM. That should be enough of a reason for a reasonable person.
    Clearly you are not familiar with the stretch reflex and its inverse: the Golgi reflex. I think you are scared to bend over and stand back up. Learn to do that and I think you will see for yourself.

cacafuego Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Nope, not the slightest bit angry. The fitness industry is clogged with weak trainers & CSCS's who spew forth content from the NASM & NSCA. Every now and again they'll pop up on this board...you're fitting the profile. And rather than yammering theoretical, show us. Bro.
    I am incredibly strong at 6'2" and a lean 170lbs and I am offended at your attempt to disgrace me. I don't think I will show you anything but if you have videos please post them. I'm sure it would be very enlightening one way or the other.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast