starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to warmup upperbody for squats.

Default How to warmup upperbody for squats.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey guys,

so I am having trouble keeping my back and abs tight during squats. Even with lower weights, I just don't feel like my upper body is warmed up enough.

Does anyone have any idea on how to warm it up good. My squats are being held back by my inability to stay tight. This really isn't a strength issue cos somedays I can do heavier weights much easier.

Thanks.

1. form check
    2. light ab work and back extensions/broomstick GM's pre-squat

I like band pull-aparts for a two or three light sets before I start my first squat warmup set, with some shoulder dislocations too. Got the idea from DeFranco. They warm up the shoulders and I feel more solid in my upper back.

Any ideas for getting the lower back warmed up?

Do the back extensions, mentioned by simonsky, help the lower back?

Could you guys list a rep scheme and how light of a weight to use during these warmups.

for my warmup i use the rowing machine for about 2 mins, stretching my back at different angles as i do it. then i hang off of a chinup bar for about 5 seconds to straighten out any kinks. some shoulder dislocations and a little light throwing down, and i'm ready to go.

i really recommend the rower, and i think the 5sec hang is essential. other than that, do your first squat set with the bar, and another set with the bar if you don't feel 100%.

FWIW, after my basic warm up and prior to squatting, I like to do 10-15 ab rolls with an ab roller...you have to tighten up your back/abs as you would when you squat, plus you use some upper back/lats when you come back up....
    I also like shoulder dislocations....

WOw Thanks so much guys. I did 2 min rowing, followed by 8 back extensions, some chest press machine reps, some shoulder and ab work on the cable pull down and it has worked incredibly.

Nice.

I'll add a 4th recommendation for shoulder dislocations if you didn't include them in your shoulder warmup work this time.

I'll through my 2 cents in even though it's a little late. Like dsp said above, I like the Concept 2 rower as a warm up . I usually do 500 meters which takes me 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 minutes. A couple of weeks ago my gym got some kettlebells and I've been doing k-bell swings, which is a great way to warm up the posterior chain. So, the rower or k-bell swings plus some shoulder dislocates with a broom stick should provide a sufficient warm up. Additionally, start your squats with an empty bar and work up to your working sets

At my age (59), the warm up takes on a more important roll than for some of you younger guys. But I believe an appropriate warm up is important even when you are young to prevent potential injuries.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeh, I've been doing the rower lately. It is so Godlike!! no joke...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast