starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping trunk tight in squat

Default Keeping trunk tight in squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Whenever I focus on keeping my mid-section tight in a squat, my form goes to hell. I usually think about the cues of sticking my butt out and knees out and hip drive. I just hurt myself for the second time when my form fell apart.

My question is whether its OK to just push against the belt, but otherwise let my midsection do whatever it wants to do, if other things about form are OK.

Been doing SS for about 2 1/2 months. First injury was at 305 pounds -- lower back (erectors?). Missed about 2 weeks. This time, last rep of 15 at 305, I felt something give inside my thigh near my hip (high up in an adductor, maybe). Just started using a belt and warm up now with a few minutes on a rowing machine before squatting. I have been DTFP. 51 years old. 205 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    My question is whether its OK to just push against the belt, but otherwise let my midsection do whatever it wants to do, if other things about form are OK.
    Why, what would you normally do to keep your midsection tight?

I had the feeling that I should be consiously tightening my trunk.

just push against the belt (that tightens your trunk)

Keep you chest up and push against the belt. For most people this is all that is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Keep you chest up and push against the belt. For most people this is all that is needed.
    This ^. People who are new to a belt often cave their chest down on top of the belt for stability. Just keep your chest up and push against the belt.

Thanks very much. I've been overthinking. Butt out, push against the belt, knees out, and bounce only as cues (and also -- drive up, bitch). Keep it simple.

The squat is perhaps something of a surprisingly technical lift. This does not mean you should be trying to remember +60 pages of form analysis when you squat. Mostly you should just be thinking about sitting down and then standing back up.

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/03/paralysis-2/

Amen, OCG

"
    Trying to make an analysis, especially on a video on the internet of someone you don’t know, is probably only going to confuse you and that person. And I’m not even getting to the situations when there are 5 things wrong in someone’s squat and the interwebz tells them how to fix 9 things. A lifter should only think about a maximum of two cues when they lift; anything else fucks things up. If the above cues are followed, then most problems will be non-existent or not a big deal.

Stop worrying so much about what your technique looks like and how it compares to other people. Just make sure it has a baseline of efficiency."

starting strength coach development program
    That article would have saved me so much time early on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast