starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Push-up Question

Default Push-up Question

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Right now, I'm doing the novice SS program and and benching or pressing every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Since I'm in the military, I need to maintain decent push-up endurance for the sake of PT tests. I'm planning on working on push-ups once a week or so to at least maintain my current numbers. What would be the best day to work on push-ups? Would it be best to do them on a bench day, press day, or on Saturday when I will have an extra day to recover?

I'm sure someone will say that "YNDTP." Yes, I know that push-ups are not part of SS. However, due to my chosen career field, I am willing to make this small sacrifice.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

What is your height weight press and bench numbers?

Odds are you will be doing a disservice to yourself by doing pushups right now, unless you're more advanced than you sound. Getting your bench to go way up will obviously help your pushups. So give us those numbers and you'll get more accurate advice.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

I have to worry about pull ups for my pt test, but they're in the program which is helpful. I always do 25-30 push ups as part of my warm up for every workout. On top of the bench and OHP, I'm sure your push ups will increase over time. Add to that company PT where you'll have to do them on top of SS and you should be good to go.

Out of curiosity, how many push ups do you need to get for a max score on that portion of your test?

I'd be willing to bet your pushups will go up without you having to expicitly train them--by virtue of the press and bench training.

But if you feel the need, perhaps John's advice on using them to warmup will fit the bill.

My instinct says to do them on Saturday, although doing a few as a bench press warmup and maybe some more at the end of your bench workout could work too. I don't imagine they'll hamper your recovery too badly unless you really go crazy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    What is your height weight press and bench numbers?

Odds are you will be doing a disservice to yourself by doing pushups right now, unless you're more advanced than you sound. Getting your bench to go way up will obviously help your pushups. So give us those numbers and you'll get more accurate advice.
    Here is some background info: I was introduced to barbell lifts early 2010. I did 1.5 months or so of SS starting in February. I then shifted to Crossfit Football to get in some metcon before leaving for basic training at the Air Force Academy. Long story short, basic training took me from 90's small (150#) to an emaciated 125#. I've gotten back up to a whopping 130#. All the below numbers are estimated.
    Back Squat: 170ish
    Deadlift: 220ish
    Press: 100
    Bench: 140

Yes, I know, I am miserably small and weak. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to do strict SS + GOMAD. Unfortunately, I do not have access to whole milk. Additionally, I have physical training sessions 1-2 times a week. Unfortunately, I never know until a day or so before hand that I have a training session (and I never know what they will entail) so I can't plan around them very well. Thankfully, they usually aren't very demanding.

Last time I did SS I didn't do any push-ups and my numbers dropped considerably. However, that is likely because my bench didn't increase more than 10# or so. I'm not sure why my bench didn't really improve since I made huge (for me at least) in all the other lifts.

I'm willing to consider dropping the push-ups. I'm just worried that my numbers will drop again. Any thoughts?

My thought would be to eat meat. Lots of it. With butter on top. And cheese. Get your bench up. Do what you can to work around the random PT crap... It can't hurt to do some pushups if they aren't done in PT, but getting stronger is going to help your pushups.

If you're taller than 4'2" you need to gain weight... how much room do you have under your "max weight" for your height?

Good lord man, how tall are you?

Do them at the end of every workout. Do whatever your max is (probably ~ 80) in as few sets as possible. I haven't met a single person this didn't work for. It isn't rocket science.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

starting strength coach development program
    Man I dropped 35 pounds in boot camp, I know how you feel.

They may not give you a heads up before regular PT, but I'm sure you are told when you have an upcoming fitness test. You may be sore occasionally when SS and PT clash, but does it matter if it's not being scored?

I would really suggest to just do them as a warm up. Then just do them with company pt. When you find out a PT test is on the horizon, just make it a main focus point.

That's what i use to do with pull ups. I like to run, and I used to do it A LOT. My pull ups were always a weak point. About three weeks before a PFT I'd be able to do around 12-15. After three weeks focusing on the pull ups, I'd complete the PFT having done 20 or better. I'm sure you can do the same sort of thing for your push ups.

Don't take this the wrong way man, but I've seen the Air Force PT many, many times. I'm sure that after a little while with starting strength you'll be smoke checking those guys every which way from sunday.
    Last edited by John2336; 09-14-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast