starting strength gym

Thread: PP 1st edition vs PP 2nd edition Novice workout

Default PP 1st edition vs PP 2nd edition Novice workout

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

New here and bought both SS second edition, PP second edition and the SS dvd.

I see that there are two different versions of the Novice routine in the 1st & 2nd editions of the book. I was wondering if there if there is a benefit to doing one over the other. Here are the two side by side. Does Ripp recommend one over the other?

PP First edition(also the one posted on the Wikia)
    Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

vs

PP Second edition
    A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    1x5 Deadlift

B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench
    1x5 Deadlift

The two workouts alternate across the M/W/F schedule for the first few weeks and the the power clean is introduced
    A-Squat,Press,DL
    B-Squat,Bench,Power Clean
    After this is done for a few weeks THEN chins and pullups can be added.

Yeah: the second one is better, albeit a little more complicated to explain. Ripp prefers it, that's why it's in the second edition rather than the first edition.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Yeah: the second one is better, albeit a little more complicated to explain. Ripp prefers it, that's why it's in the second edition rather than the first edition.
    Thanks! Appreciate the quick response. I will follow the version from the second edition then.

I was confused about this, too. I will go ahead and follow PP 2nd edition...Thanks for the info!

I suggest that if you suck at chins you start doing them very early. When you can only do a couple, they don't really affect your recovery that much. When you get stronger at them and can do perhaps 10 and start using weight, they have to be programmed as one of the mainlifts. Then it's Onus Wunsler -version or something similar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Qvistus View Post
    I suggest that if you suck at chins you start doing them very early. When you can only do a couple, they don't really affect your recovery that much. When you get stronger at them and can do perhaps 10 and start using weight, they have to be programmed as one of the mainlifts. Then it's Onus Wunsler -version or something similar.
    I would really like to add chins in as well as pullups. Even though I'm only in week 2, I want to improve on them. I can do probably only 1-3 right now.

I still haven't added in the power clean as I'm trying to learn that one a little better. Can I add the chins(and pullups on seperate day) at the end even though I haven't put the Power Cleans in? Is it a must to do the power clean?

Right now I'm doing:
    A
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift

B
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Last edited by RJ9575; 11-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.