starting strength gym

Thread: What program to follow while training heavily for rowing?

Default What program to follow while training heavily for rowing?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi
    I'm 18. I weigh 76 kg (about 165) and am a rower. We train about 20 hours a week, so this affects my recovery ability a fair bit. We get these strength training programs, but they are simply 3x6, aiming to increase the weight lifted every session. However, I am at the stage where I would classify myself as an intermediate with regards to my strength levels. My maxes are:
    Squat 145 (goal 200)
    Snatch 65 (goal bw)
    Bench 100 (goal 120)
    Pull up +35 (goal 2xBW)
    Deadlift 160 (goal 220+)
    Overhead Press 65 (goal bw)
    Power Clean 90 (goal 120)
    Dips +40 (goal 2xBW)
    I am currently following 5/3/1, though a bit modified because I'm trying to increase my clean and snatch. My weekly routine is as follows:
    Monday
    Hang Clean - usually work 2's
    Bench Press - 5/3/1 programming
    Squat - 5/3/1 programming
    Dips - weighted
    Chin ups - weighted
    Good Morning - 3x8
    Hanging Leg Raise - 3x8

Wednesday
    Hang Snatch - usually fairly light
    Deadlift - 5/3/1
    Deficit DL - 3x5
    Krok Row - 2x20
    Good morning/Core work

Friday
    Power Clean - usually heavy-ish. Maybe 5x3 at 85-90%
    Overhead Press - 5/3/1
    Bulgarian Split Squat - 3x5
    Romanian DL - 3x6
    Dips - weighted
    Chin ups - weighted
    Core work

I've been following 5/3/1 for about 4 months now - maybe 4 cycles, and find that some weeks I really struggle to get the prescribed reps. I'm also looking to make the quickest gains I can, and was wondering if another program would be better suited to my individual needs? Perhaps I am using too much volume? I'm simply looking to ensure that my time in the gym is not wasted. Thanks in advance

Are you rowing 20 hrs/week, or does that figure include time in the weight room?

If you're actually managing to increase your lifts at all while rowing 20 hours per week, you're doing something right and should probably be giving us advice.

At your level of training advancement, your days of concurrently increasing lifts while bringing down your rowing splits are numbered. In the offseason, push your strength while maining conditioning best you can. In season, push your rowing while maintaining strength the best you can.

If you're actually out of season and trainging 20 hours per week, I feel bad for you... Texas Method does program faster gains than 5/3/1, but is tougher to recover from.

sorry it's about 12-14 hours of rowing a week. I would spend about 4 hours a week doing weights. So 5/3/1 is probably my best bet? Its currently in-season, but we still are meant to be doing weights, so if I'm going to the gym I want to actually be getting stronger.

As an ex-rower I might help you a bit. There are 2 important things to remember.

1. Maximal strength is key in almost every sport. Although you are going through a linear progression with 3x6, you might be better suited doing another program. But you'll have to convince your coaches.

2. Recovery. I'm assuming that you are just before the beginning of the season, so recovery is the hardest part. You need to recover in order to get stronger, and rowing 14 hours will cut into your recovery. I think it was also wendler in 531 for football that said, when in-season strength training would be on second place.

So the gist is really choosing a program in which to allow to (maintain) or increase strength in which you are allowed to be recovered from, and this probably personal. And as blood stated you are better off in the off-season to push your strength, although it is possible to increase strength in-season, and you should aim for this, but be critical on what is important, exercise wise, programming wise, and recovery wise.

Hope this might help a bit
    Last edited by Kincain; 12-26-2010 at 07:46 AM.