starting strength gym

Thread: Advanced Novice

Default Advanced Novice

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    45 y/o 5'6" about 250 lb.

On Tuesday I got back to my previous personal record of 225. I wasn't 100% psychically feeling a little under the weather but pushed myself and it was very hard, I felt like I barely made it. Today feeling better I took a light day (180 lbs squat) with still having a little slight bit of feeling under the weather. I have backed off once on my dead-lift but can feel that it is getting harder to recover. Would it be a good idea to go advanced novice? Would it be better to wait until I have to back off once or twice on squat before moving to advanced? I was reading practical programming and I think I remember saying advanced novice is appropriate after a back off period is necessary. Does that necessarily means squats are is it on any lift? Also with being an older lifter should I go to advance novice and later intermediate a little earlier than a 20-35 y/o?

I also have a belt and proper squat shoes coming this weekend. I have been using New Balance minimus shoes for a while now and haven't used a belt yet. My obliques sometimes feel a little achy after squat/dead-lift days. Not sure if it is form issue or if a belt will help. I haven't kept up with mobility work as much as possible but I am following the sample programs in becoming a supple leopard. It has gotten rid of the tight abductors so maybe mobility work might cure that if it is shortened hip flexors from sitting.

Usually the standard recommendation is to take that light Squat day once you have gone through one reset and feel the need coming up for another one. And yes, you will need more drawn out programming at 45 sooner than at 25-35.