starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is this Deadlift Experiment Going to End?

Default How is this Deadlift Experiment Going to End?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm 45, 5-10 195 pounds and an intermediate

After deadlifting 505 a year ago at 208 pounds, I leaned out a bit and got back to 195. But I lost a lot of strength. I'm now working back up with a goal of 500+ and under 200 pounds bodyweight.

I hit a deadlift brick wall at 405 X 1-4. Spun my wheels for several months.

So I developed a new strategy:

1 ) Lift every third day (this has been a blessing on my aging body)

2) 100% replace deadlift with stiff leg deadlift

3) Work stiff leg deadlift up to a set of 405 X 5

4) Work back into conventional deadlift and smash the 500 pound barrier

Current programming (every third day)

Day 1 - squats 4 X 5, bench 3-5 X 5 (or a density block*), overhead press 1 X 5 (or a few dumbbell sets, not to detrain) SLDL 1 X 5, lat pulls to overload or chins 3-failure
    SLDL Back off 2 X5

Day 4 - Squats 1 X 5 (5# increase over Day 1 weight), overhead press 4 X 5 (or density block*), inclined dumbbell presses 2 X 8-12, SLDL 1 X 8-12 (if too tired, 2-3 X 5) , 15-25 total chins

SLDL Back Off 2-3 X5

Day 7 - Repeat day 1, except substitute 3 - 5 sets of back extensions (no deadlifting) and a chin-up density block (latest was 38 total reps in 12 mins.)

* Rotate density blocks in for 3 consecutive press sessions then sets of 5 for 3 consecutive sessions. This worked great in moving a severely stuck overhead press up)

SLDL Progress

8 weeks ago : 225 X 10 and 275 X 5 were about true max sets

Last week: 315 X 13 and 370 X 5(this was a super feel good set so I went with it until I felt I had only 1 left in the tank and I called it)

Is there enough carryover form the SLDS to the DL that my strategy should work? At this point, I am curious to see how far I can drive the SLDL anyway but I'm curious at to what you guys think about the strategy?

Input?

Thanks
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 04-25-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Take this for what it's worth..

IMO - that's not very much volume for a lift that has less carryover to the conventional deadlift relative to the conventional deadlift . My thoughts are...if you're having trouble getting to 500 with your current programming, using a less direct exercise with low volume, is going to be even less successful. You are doing at most 17 reps of deadlift?

I know age is a constraint for you but I would find a way to tolerate more volume. Sure, do some SLDL if you can't conventional DL as frequently, but do more of them. In addition, do some pause DL, rack pull etc...

Hell, go lower intensity. Do some linear periodization. The weeks of 10's, 8's, 6's won't beat you up as much. I personally don't make good strength gains from high intensity DL programs. I get the best strength gains, personally, from higher volume, lower intensity, DL programs.
    Last edited by silachoo; 04-25-2017 at 03:11 PM.

So you hit 505 then got injured, took time off, got sick? What happened to take you from 505x1 to missing reps at 405?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    So you hit 505 then got injured, took time off, got sick? What happened to take you from 505x1 to missing reps at 405?
    I was fat, lost weight.

Watched my deadlift slide from 505 to 470 for a double to 455 for a single to 425 for a triple to 405 X 5 over the course of 15 pounds of bodyweight loss.

double post
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 04-25-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Triple Post
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 04-25-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    Take this for what it's worth..

IMO - that's not very much volume for a lift that has less carryover to the conventional deadlift relative to the conventional deadlift . My thoughts are...if you're having trouble getting to 500 with your current programming, using a less direct exercise with low volume, is going to be even less successful. You are doing at most 17 reps of deadlift?

I know age is a constraint for you but I would find a way to tolerate more volume. Sure, do some SLDL if you can't conventional DL as frequently, but do more of them. In addition, do some pause DL, rack pull etc...

Hell, go lower intensity. Do some linear periodization. The weeks of 10's, 8's, 6's won't beat you up as much. I personally don't make good strength gains from high intensity DL programs. I get the best strength gains, personally, from higher volume, lower intensity, DL programs.
    Added my back off sets to original post (85% on heavy day, 90% on light day)

Total volume is between ~15 reps on heavy day and ~25 on light day

I am progressing nicely on SLDL. This week will be an attempt at 375 X 5 which is a 100 pound gain. Im wondering if there will be significant a carryover to convectional, non-sumo deadlifts.

Can I expect to rapidly gain in DL strength after reaching a 405 X 5 SLDL (assuming squat progress at the same time)?
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 04-25-2017 at 03:48 PM.

I think if you are using SLDL as your primary variant, your squat volume is a bit too low for this to give you the results you expect. It might work, if your SLDL progressively starts looking like your conventional deadlift (i.e becomes less strict), or if you're squatting 405 x 5 or more on heavy day and don't have short arms.

I'm also not sure why you are trying to avoid conventional deadlifting entirely. 15 lbs lost doesn't seem big enough to get you stuck at 405 x 4 when you've pulled >500, I'd expect you could LP back up to 420 x 5 without anything fancy. Losing weight should make it easier to get in position (although I can't imagine you had a big belly at 5'10 208 anyway).

I hit 385 for 5 then 325 for a back off of 11 SLDL's this Sunday.

I'm going to run this until it stalls (hopefully north of 405 for 5), then switch back to standard deadlifts and I'll report back.

Tonight, I go for 335 for 3-5 sets of 5.

starting strength coach development program
    Why stay under 200 lbs? You should find a different hobby if you're against packing on weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast