starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check Squat 105kg

Default Form Check Squat 105kg

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey Guys,

This is my first time posting here, so first off I would like to thank all of you for providing these checks and feedbacks. This kind of coaching, even if remote, is usually quite expensive and I am not taking it for granted.

I finished reading the starting strength book in June and started training according to the book's guidelines shortly after. We don't have any starting strength guys here in Berlin, Germany that could help. I have some friends who are crossfiters or powerlifters and they occasionally gave me some hints on form which helped sometimes more sometimes less.

After getting to 130 kg on my squat and after a period of not filming myself for a while, I realized that I don't squat deep enough anymore. It certainly felt deep enough, but a video showed me it was not. After trying again twice on 130 kg and not managing, I reset to 100 kg and started again at proper depth and am now progressing linearly again.

I thought before I get to higher weights and potentially end up with bad form again I ask you guys for some Feedback on my squat.

Here are the videos:
    1) side view, first set Squat 105 kg - Side View - YouTube

2) front quarter, second set
    Squat 105 kg - front quarter - YouTube

3) back quarter, third set
    Squat 105 kg - back quarter - YouTube

I am very sorry for the obstructions and some parts being cut out. I trained alone and didnt have my tripod with me. Of course, I can repeat the filming if necessary.

I see my right elbow being pretty high in comparison to the left, probably both being to high already. That would correlate with some of the shoulder problems that I have lately in my right shoulder, especially after squatting (started to use a thumb-grip because of this). This is something I will change soon.

Do you guys have any other hints and suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

1) Put shoes on your feet.
    2) Drive up more aggressively with your hips.
    3) Don't crank your elbows up so high. Pull them back and down.
    4) Don't release your valsava until you complete the rep.
    4) Keep your head down.
    5) Put shoes on your feet.

I was looking online and conversing with friends about the advantages and disadvantages of training barefoot and was not really convinced that this was such a big deal. I am a martial artist and train most of my life with any shoes on, that's why I feel quite comfortable this way, on particular in my own gym. Is it really that bad that I should change this? Is it affecting my Form or my health in some way?

Watch how much squishing around and movement there is between your foot and the floor. Proper shoes (weightlifting shoes) allow for solid a solid connection between your foot and the floor without all that squishing around, provide support for your foot, and give you a non-slip connection between your foot and the floor.

OK, cool, thanks!