starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press form check

Default Bench press form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025

This is my third set of 5 reps @ 255. I'd appreciate any feedback.

To provide some background, I weigh 185 and am 46 years old. I've been lifting for 17 years. Almost all of that lifting has been alone. I thought, based on that experience, I knew what I was doing.

Then, recently, I read Starting Strenghth. Now I'm trying to unlearn 17 years of bad habits. Your patience and guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry for the double posting. If the admin would kindly delete my prior post, or someone would tell me how to delete it, I'd be grateful.

A better video would help as all we can see here is the lower half of your body. You need to pick a place for your feet and keep them there. Moving them while the bar is over you is not a good idea. You may want to keep them on the legs of the bwnch or, better yet, set some blocks at the same height but a little wider you can use. Put the hooks a notch higher and secure the rack so it won't fall over. It's hard to tell from this angle, but I think you have your elbows out too wide. You may need to narrow your grip a little and bring your elbows in some.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    A better video would help as all we can see here is the lower half of your body. You need to pick a place for your feet and keep them there. Moving them while the bar is over you is not a good idea. You may want to keep them on the legs of the bwnch or, better yet, set some blocks at the same height but a little wider you can use. Put the hooks a notch higher and secure the rack so it won't fall over. It's hard to tell from this angle, but I think you have your elbows out too wide. You may need to narrow your grip a little and bring your elbows in some.
    Thanks. I'll follow this advice a post again the next time I bench press. Much appreciated.