starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey guys,

Just started with the starting strength beginners program.

Would appreciate a form check on my squat.

YouTube

It's 80kgs, (my max is 82.5kg).

I noticed my head is up, so I've chalked out a X on the floor to look at for future squats.

I'm a desk jockey, so my hips are tight (even with mobility exercises, stretching and foam rolling), so I don't think I'm hitting depth.

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

I like your masking tape markers for foot placement. Having something to look at on the floor will indeed help keep your head down. It appears that you don't have a vertical bar path, you're getting out over your toes as the bottom. Depth is a little high as you noticed. You don't finish inhaling before you begin the descent. Take in your big air and get tight before going down. You might benefit from slowing the descent down a little to help you control the bar bath. Break at the hips and the knees at the same time, shove your knees out, bend over and keep the point of balance over your mid foot. Consider investing in a belt. Are you able to straighten your wrists without causing discomfort?

I suspect the bar may be too high on your back. Get it in the right place, look down, lean over more, shove your knees out harder

Hey guys, I appreciate the comments.

Will apply the feedback into my next few training sessions and see how I go.

I actually didn't notice the wrists, so will try and straighten them and see how I go.