starting strength gym

Thread: Ball of Foot Neutral Exercises

Smile Ball of Foot Neutral Exercises

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Mr Rip,

I've just had a skin lesion removed from the ball of my foot, and it's painful if I put pressure on it. Doctor also said to avoid anything that puts pressure on it for a week to encourage recovery, so squatting, deadlifting, cleans and overhead press are out.

I'm going to do dumbbell overhead press to replace the overhead press, but I'm at a loss for what to do to replace squatting and deadlifting for a week. I have access to a GHR, a 45 degree back extension apparatus and a leg curl machine, so I will be doing those, but I'm not sure how I should train my quads. Leg extensions are out because the butcher my knees. Basically I don't want to lose any strength over the week and would like at worst to repeat my last workout. Any tips?

Yours sincerely,
    The Yellow Mamba

Typically, when surgery keeps you from squatting and deadlifting, you are going to lose strength while you're off. Such is the nature of surgery.

For future reference, in similar circumstances, if there a benefit to increase volume and intensity in the last workout before your "break". E.g. normally you do 3x5 squats because you wouldn't be able to recover from a 5x5. But say you had a week to recover. Should you lower the weight a little bit, and pump out an incredibly difficult 5x5 for squats and 2x5 for deadlifts?

Maybe, especially if it makes you feel less worthless. Try it next time you plan on having surgery.

Are you really that concerned that you'll lose strength is you don't squat and deadlift for a single week? Sure if it's major surgery and you miss a month then you will, but if you've been training heavy for a while now there's every chance that you'll come back stronger if you have a single week off to get over accumulated fatigue.

I wonder what kind of effect squatting heavy the day before surgery would have on recovery time. According to Sully's lecture, the system's natural response to that stimulus is a growth factor release. Would having elevated growth factors the day of, and up to 24 hours post surgery make any significant difference in the body's ability to recover from the surgery?

Both squat and deadlift have single-leg variations. You could try those.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmamba View Post
    For future reference, in similar circumstances, if there a benefit to increase volume and intensity in the last workout before your "break". E.g. normally you do 3x5 squats because you wouldn't be able to recover from a 5x5. But say you had a week to recover. Should you lower the weight a little bit, and pump out an incredibly difficult 5x5 for squats and 2x5 for deadlifts?
    Mamba, how is adding volume before an extended break beneficial?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidlyfat View Post
    Both squat and deadlift have single-leg variations. You could try those.
    An excellent suggestion. That should make his week complete.