starting strength gym

Thread: Restarting linear progression after patellar tendon surgery

Default Restarting linear progression after patellar tendon surgery

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi, Rip I got a question about getting back in shape from a complet tear of my patella tendon, suregery and rehab have been good i have 100% range of motion. I can squat all the way down without any limitation of the range of motion.

So here's my question: So now i been doing squat 3x12 x3/week and add 2,5 kilo (5pounds) and now i can squat an empty barr but i feel my tendon tight, do you have any experience with this injury? can i continu to squat even if i feel tightness on the tendon?

For deads i resart with 30kg (75 pounds )and add 10kilos (20pounds) each session. does it looks ok? now im with 3x8 70kilos and its easy. i was deadlifting 445X5 before i got injury.

When was the surgery, and how did the injury occur?

Been there, done that ... http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=29004

As an update I am now ~16 months post surgery. This past week I squatted 465x5 and deadlifted 505x5. It is possible to run a linear progressing post surgery and progess well beyond pre-surgery strength levels.

Surgery was on december14 so 4month and 2weeks, i can squat all the way down an empty barr for 15reps i just have to get warmed up with all that rehab exercice that i dont like, it feels tight but after a good warm up its practicly ok, i was planning to really restart a linear progression 6-7 months post sugery. I also saw your video about knee wraps but shouldnt i try to start without?
    What do u think? its the first time that i deal with this type of injury so i feel a bit lost lol.

Injurie happend while playing football.
    I know its not the section but tranining looks like this: heres my question, can i try to improve the deadlift/PC while this time? squat are not stressfull, maybe when i get 3x8 at 315 lbs its gonna start to be hard. then im plan to rotate Deads/PC.I had 240lbsx2 PC 440lbsx5deadlift pre surgery.

Squat 3X15 (+5lbs every two sessions)
    Dead 3x8 ( +20lbs Every sessions but i restarted very low now im at 185 i'll decrease at +10lbs when i get 220)
    Intensity Press 5X1/ Vol Bench Press 5x5
    Dips+chains (30lbs) 3x15-20/ SS barbell skull crusher 3x10
    rows 3x12-15
    standing ABswheel rollout 3x10
    Heavy crunches 3x15

Quote Originally Posted by DTF View Post
    Been there, done that ... http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=29004

As an update I am now ~16 months post surgery. This past week I squatted 465x5 and deadlifted 505x5. It is possible to run a linear progressing post surgery and progess well beyond pre-surgery strength levels.
    I knew this was possible lol! im glad to hear that, it makes me feel already better, My log terms goals were to Deads 600lbs, squat 500lbs, PC 315lbs, BP 370lbs, and Press 250lbs. So it feels good to hear someone who's tell you it is possible.

F*ck 315x3X5 5months post op? you're really badass man! but its gonna give motivation thanks!!!

You still have not told me how the injury happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You still have not told me how the injury happened.
    I jumped then i got off balance while i was in the air by another player, i didnt see the floor so i didnt contract any muscles, and i hitted the ground with my knee on full flexion, then i heard a pop, but i didnt felt any pain, but when i step up i felt miserable on the ground and get and automatic leg curl because there were no tendon between the two bones anymore, thats what i remember, hope you understand my English.

I think you should run a linear progression back up with 3 sets of 5 MWF starting with about 75. Deadlift according to your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you should run a linear progression back up with 3 sets of 5 MWF starting with about 75. Deadlift according to your plan.
    Ok thats what i was thinking. Do you have experience with that kind of injuries with the people you train? do i have to to other stuff, like rehab stuff (cant hurt)? i know leg extension's bosu ball and colorfull band's for pussies but i actually got pussy strength anyway.

Oh and do you mind i got another question. I also train people in Paris, i read SSBT3, PPST, The strongest shall Survive, And bunch of others books on Anatomie, Nutritions ect got my graduation to train people in France 2years ago and I just sick of hearing " DO NOT go heavy, just feel the contraction" "DONT do regular Deadlift is isolating nothing" "Mind muscle connection is everything you can build muscle with light weight and no basic exercices"

So how i can do, in a buisness way, convince people that they are all fucking wrong, because the probleme is that all that coaches are over 35 and im 24 they get more credibility .

I got some ideas but i would like to have you opinion Mr Rippetoe.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre27 View Post
    Ok thats what i was thinking. Do you have experience with that kind of injuries with the people you train?
    I have rehabbed a ruptured patellar tendon in this gym, the same way I'm telling you. No other work is necessary or desirable.

Oh and do you mind i got another question. I also train people in Paris, i read SSBT3, PPST, The strongest shall Survive, And bunch of others books on Anatomie, Nutritions ect got my graduation to train people in France 2years ago and I just sick of hearing " DO NOT go heavy, just feel the contraction" "DONT do regular Deadlift is isolating nothing" "Mind muscle connection is everything you can build muscle with light weight and no basic exercices"

So how i can do, in a buisness way, convince people that they are all fucking wrong, because the probleme is that all that coaches are over 35 and im 24 they get more credibility .
    You just have to start doing it correctly, and people will pay attention. You cannot make other people smarter.