starting strength gym

Thread: My goals for 2013

Default My goals for 2013

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    so i have been on ss for around 4 months,made ok progress but my diet was shit,too much junk so now its time to get serious how do these goals look for the next year?

weight:get from 235 to around 200 midway through year after im bit stronger than nw.my waist is around 47" so i have a bit of gut to lose.

squat 200lb>400lb
    bench 200lb>300lb
    dlft300>500lb
    press 130>200lb+

think ishould be able to get these if i try like fuck.

200 lbs is a big jump in one year, but I applaud the effort, no point in half assing it if you want to get strong. However, since that jump is so big, I would make sure that you break down your main goal into more achievable, shorter term goals that you know you can achieve, just so you stay on track. Given what you want to do, you're gonna need to add about 5 lbs a week to your squat every week to achieve your goal. I think this is very possible, but once you get into the 300's I think things will get a lot tougher. In about 6 months, following SS, my squat 5rm went from 225 to 315, and my push press 5rm went from 155 to 195, so I have no doubt that big gains are possible.

On a side note, I think that losing weight sooner rather than later will give you a big edge, both mentally and in terms of work capacity. Once the fat starts coming off you'll "feel" much more athletic, and probably be able to do move overall work in the gym without feeling as drained. I know starting strength doesn't call for much cardio, but its primarily a strength program, not a weight loss one. I wouldn't be afraid to do some higher volume, low intensity work to try to get leaner. To lose weight, you have to burn calories, its not a big secret. However, you don't want your "extra" work to interfere with your strength gains. I dont know how other people feel about this, but I do tons of body weight exercises, and they do wonders for me in terms of prehab, keeping my metabolism up, and overall work capacity. Due to the light weight I don't see any real interference with my big moves. This type of work loosens me up on off days, and gives me a way to keep my metabolism going. Don't be afraid to add extra workouts in the week or after your main exercises where you do stuff like tons of pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats and lunges, biking, hitting a punching bag, etc. If you really really want to lose weight fast, you'll be shocked at how two a days will affect your metabolism. This doesn't mean lifting huge twice a day, or even working out for a long time. Take 10-15 minutes in the morning/night (or both) and do something as simple as as many pushups or as many bodyweight squats (just your bodyweight, no bar) as you can in that time period. Or you can pair them up and alternate between squats and lunges, pushups and pullups etc. You'll feel great knowing your constantly working towards your goal, and your metabolism will thank you. This is just my two cents, its worked wonders for me, but is by no means gospel. good luck!

well the plan is if i tidy up my diet i should get closer to 220lb ,id be happier at this weight for nw as 6 month ago i was 260 so il get stronger till near summer then go on short cut to get to 200lb then back to getting stronger so il try that when cut near summer thanks man

Why do people keep making these threads? Again.. Callador has made a thread already "Goals for 2013!". Post your Goals there not in a separate thread. Not only does it not clog up the forum but youll get more people replying to you. Which Im guessing is what you want.

Also IMO those goals are too ambitious but it depends on your height, age, training history and size of dietary deficit you will be running which you handily forgot to mention.

yah im gonna move it to there .does anyone know how to delete this thread?