starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Clean comparison

Default Full Clean comparison

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For you guys who do full cleans along with power cleans, how far off is your power clean from your full clean? About what % of your full clean max is your power clean max?

Best ever clean and jerk is 125 kg and best power clean is 114 kg. My definition of a power clean is hips crease above the knee and that 114 was BARELY power but it was just above parallel. I realize not everyone has the same definition of power so I think it's helpful to clarify that. So I'm at about 90%.

Alright thank you, that gives me some perspective

THe better technique a weightlifter has, the farther these will be off.

Yeah, I've heard the number 80% thrown around for a lot of weightlifters, although I believe the Russians think this should be higher if I recall. I forget where I read that so I'm not sure if it's accurate, but it seems that most top lifters that I've seen are around 80-85% depending on the day.

81 kg (178.2 lb) power clean and 87 kg (191.4 lb) full clean. So, 93%, hahaha. I've racked 90 kg (198 lbs) but got pinned in the hole. For a long time, my front squat was my limiting factor on cleans, and I guess in theory it still is, since I got pinned with my last PR attempt. However, I catch my full cleans pretty high. My 81 power clean was fairly close to parallel , but I have power cleaned 80 as a non-questionable power clean.

This 86 kg full clean was a PR at the time:

And, this 80 kg power clean was a PR at the time (totally didn't expect to make it):

Before my collarbone injury I had maxes of 104kg/90kg for full/power.

123 kg and 140 kg, so 88%

152.5 kg and 130 kg - 85%.

Have not seriously trained any of those in months, but hit these two during deadlift warm-ups a couple weeks ago. But I used to do a lot more cleans than powercleans, so the latter is probably a little under-trained right now. Starting weightlifting again this week.

I think people in the internet weightlifting community tend to over-interpret percentages. A lower or higher percentage in this case can mean all sorts of things and might not have a lot to do with deviation from optimal mechanics.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by steven-miller View Post
    I think people in the internet weightlifting community tend to over-interpret percentages. A lower or higher percentage in this case can mean all sorts of things and might not have a lot to do with deviation from optimal mechanics.
    I think this is true and not just in the weightlifting community, but in a lot of strength sports also. People get hung up on having a particular ratio instead of just trying to increase both. As long as the ratio is not super far off or completely out of whack, (i.e. if you power clean more than you full clean, you only clean 50% of your back squat), they're just ratios not the bible. If the ratio is out of whack it usually will show some pretty big deficiency or that you're just learning the lifts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast