starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front squat (Linear/ Intermediate progression)

Default Front squat (Linear/ Intermediate progression)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    If a 190# man has a front-squat of about 200# x 5 then I would not consider this to be intermediate. How could I switch this person over to linear progression? Also, what front-squat would justify using an intermediate progression?

P.s- This person absolutely refuses to back-squat.

levels of progression, novice-intermediate-elite, are not determined by strength to body-weight ratios, these terms or level of advancement are determined by the individuals ability to adapt. A novice will adapt a lot easier and cannot and does not need as much stress as an intermediate or elite lifter; which in turn means can add weight to the bar faster and recover the fastest from workout to workout

Numbers don't determine whether a lifter is a novice or an intermediate.

The novice/intermediate designation has nothing to do with the weight being lifted; it has to do with the rate of adaptation. Novices can still recover from a workload which will produce an adaptation within 48-72 hours of a workout. Intermediates cannot.

Have you read the book?

anyway if this dude is not going back-squat AT LEAST get him doing rdl's to make up for the lack of hamstring work...still do conventional deads but you are going to want rdl's too. As for the progression I couldn't tell you how, I only front squat on light days for 3x3 across that goes up in increments of 5 lbs bi weekly..of course I low bar squat mainly

Have him do front squats 2-3 times per week. Look to add 5 lbs to 5 rep max 1-2 times per week. When this becomes too hard, switch to triples. When that becomes too hard, deload and start back up with fives or just try something else. Something like that should get him up to at least 315x3 in a reasonable amount of time. RDL's 1-2 times per week is probably a good idea, but I doubt anything bad would happen if he did not include them.

I don't like 5s for front squats at all. I would have him do 5x3 and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Forthright View Post
    P.s- This person absolutely refuses to back-squat.
    Is this person a weightlifter?

Why are 3's better for front squats?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeknom58 View Post
    Why are 3's better for front squats?
    I find my upper back fatigues the longer the set goes and its harder to keep my elbows up high in the front rack. In addition to that its a bit harder to take full breaths in front squats so you might get a lack of oxygen later in a set. This is just personal experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast