starting strength gym

Thread: alternating mix grip on work sets

Default alternating mix grip on work sets

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So I never really had an issue until I started 531 (since i was only ever doing 1 set of deads).

Is it worthwhile to do the lighter work sets with the less used mix grip? And then do the heaviest with my normal pronation?

(hook grip not at an option..doesnt work for me, hands probably too small at 5 7)

I can see the argument both ways:

On one hand, doing so would balance out the volume..even tho the highest intensity set is still done the way I usually mix.

On the other hand, I can see it interfering with the motor pathways and possibly causing more trouble than good at heavy weights. Similar reasoning as why you always split jerk with the same leg.

Does anyone have an opinion on one argument vs the other? Like I said, not interested in hook grip and not particularly interested in straps....though I understand that those are probably the 'best' options.

Thanks
    Last edited by rational; 01-31-2013 at 08:52 PM.

I look at the the first two sets in 5/3/1 as heavy warm up sets and the third set as the one and only all out work set. Since they are warm ups I do the first two sets with an overhand grip with no belt. On the third set I put on a belt and use an alternated grip. I switch which hand is underhand each week for balance. This works for me because my DL training max is in the low 300s, if you have a high training max this may not work.

Also, I targeted my grip strength to make sure I could use the double overhand grip for sub-maximal DLs. At the end of every workout I would do things like hanging from a chin up bar for as long as possible, DB rows to failure, or holding a submaximal DL in the lockout positon for as long as possible with a double overhand grip.

I personally am a fan of DOH until I can't, and even switching from session to session which hand I have pronated for my heavy set(s), so there is no "way I usually mix". That said, there's definitely one way which is a little stronger, so in, say, a meet or situation where that really matters, I would use that configuration. But, in training, if grip really becomes a limitation, then strapping up becomes an option.

I also DOH the first 531 set. Then the 2nd is usually DOH and then maybe my weaker mixed. And then I do the final set with my 'normal' mixed grip.

Grip isn't a limitation, I just would prefer to spread the stress more evenly. Was just wondering if its standard practice to 'mix it up'.

When I used to employ a mixed grip, I would often switch the pronated hand.

There are a lot of different ways you can do it, and there are a lot of examples in this thread that you can follow. I will add another one, just so you can see the flip side of the coin.

I actually pull the same way every time I deadlift (left hand under, right over), and I even do it for my warmup sets. I tried changing it up, but I would often twist the bar a little or get out of the groove. It just felt natural to keep doing it one way. After 2 years of doing it, I don't have any problems with malformed muscles or any grip issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    There are a lot of different ways you can do it, and there are a lot of examples in this thread that you can follow. I will add another one, just so you can see the flip side of the coin.

I actually pull the same way every time I deadlift (left hand under, right over), and I even do it for my warmup sets. I tried changing it up, but I would often twist the bar a little or get out of the groove. It just felt natural to keep doing it one way. After 2 years of doing it, I don't have any problems with malformed muscles or any grip issues.
    I'm the same way. I do every set mixed the same exact way, including all warmups. I don't deadlift anywhere near my friend Les here, but I also have no problems with malformed muscles or grip. I was taught to pick which side I like supinating, and then stick with it every set so that it just becomes second nature. It basically becomes part of my deadlifting "routine" and one less thing to ever think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    I'm the same way. I do every set mixed the same exact way, including all warmups. I don't deadlift anywhere near my friend Les here, but I also have no problems with malformed muscles or grip. I was taught to pick which side I like supinating, and then stick with it every set so that it just becomes second nature. It basically becomes part of my deadlifting "routine" and one less thing to ever think about.
    Exactly! Everything should be automatic. I also like to use mixed grip for warmups to truly warm up my supinated arm. At first I did DOH warmups, and then switching to mixed grip would aggravate my bicep tendon. Now I just warmup from the start with mixed grip, and it feels a lot better.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I never really did DOH at all, so I didn't that issue particularly, but I could DEFINITELY see how the switch would aggravate it.