starting strength gym

Thread: Correcting Anterior Pelvic Tilt w/o quitting training

Default Correcting Anterior Pelvic Tilt w/o quitting training

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm developing a bit of anterior pelvic tilt as my strength keeps climbing. It's not terrible, but I can notice it. Obviously this needs corrected, and I know heavy lifting as I currently am would exacerbate the problem, but I don't want to lose strength gains in the meantime that I am working to correct the imbalance. What's the best protocol?

huh?
    when do you experience this issue and why would lifting make it worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarcissist View Post
    heavy lifting as I currently am would exacerbate the problem ... What's the best protocol?
    Learn to lift correctly.

Sitting in a chair at work all day is what's giving me anterior pelvic tilt issues. I find that because of this, I need to make sure I get properly warmed up, with lots of foam rolling, stretching, and at least 3 warm up sets with the empty so I can get full ROM and proper form before attempting work sets. I like to do unweighted deep squats and hold the stretch, and hip flexor stretches: throughout the day whenever I find a minute. Hope it helps.

Humorous title is humorous. It seems to imply he wants to tilt his pelvis the other direction while he trains. If you purposefully went into posterior pelvic tilt during heavy lowerbody exercises, you're going to seriously hurt your spine. But it also occurs to me that we may be talking about the opposite directions. Are you measuring pelvic tilt from neutral to the top of the pelvis (iliac crest) or the bottom (pubis symphysis)? I am talking about tilt of the iliac crest.

Search for "Couch Stretch" on MWOD.com and for "Kit Laughlin Hip Flexor Stretch". Do these, roll your quads and hip flexors with a foam roller and learn to stand and move correctly. Takes about 15 minutes each day.

I'm developing a bit of anterior pelvic tilt as my strength keeps climbing.
    Huh?

It's not terrible, but I can notice it.
    What do you notice, exactly? How do you notice it?

and I know heavy lifting as I currently am would exacerbate the problem,
    Why? Are you lifting with incorrect form?

but I don't want to lose strength gains in the meantime that I am working to correct the imbalance. What's the best protocol?
    Make sure you actually have a problem. How did you come by this "diagnosis"? How is it affecting you? Are you sure you're not perceiving larger glutes as "anterior pelvic tilt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Squeakyguy View Post
    Sitting in a chair at work all day is what's giving me anterior pelvic tilt issues. I find that because of this, I need to make sure I get properly warmed up, with lots of foam rolling, stretching, and at least 3 warm up sets with the empty so I can get full ROM and proper form before attempting work sets. I like to do unweighted deep squats and hold the stretch, and hip flexor stretches: throughout the day whenever I find a minute. Hope it helps.
    Are we all talking about the same thing?

This is the second thread about anterior pelvic tilt in about a month. I don't see how lifting (squat, press, deadlift) would fail to improve just about any postural defect.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    Are you sure you're not perceiving larger glutes as "anterior pelvic tilt"?
    Like that Sir Mix-A lot song, "Baby Got Anterior Pelvic Tilt".