starting strength gym

Thread: Session with Starting Strength Coach

Default Session with Starting Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I had my first session with a Starting Strength coach and it was such a good experience that I asked Rip if I could post positive feedback on the forum. He approved it so here it is.

I've been doing Starting Strength for a little while now but hurt myself a few times and wasn't really making good progress. I knew that my form was off and since I've never really been that athletic, I was having difficulty fixing the form on my own. I decided that I needed a coaching session to get things on track and reduce the chances for an injury.

I looked up Starting Strength coaches in North Carolina and the closest one was 3 hours away. Mac Ward and his wife Gillian Mounsey are in Cedar Point, NC, so I emailed Mac and set up an appointment.

It was probably the best 2 hours I've spent in a long time. Mac and his wife are terrific people and Mac spent time going through my squat and fixing my bad habits. It isn't perfect yet but I know what a good squat feels like and what to work on.

I hadn't deadlifted in a long time (I know - NDTFP...) because I hurt my lower back doing it about 8 months ago, likely due to terrible form. Mac insisted that we work on the deadlift and promised me that I wouldn't get hurt. Well, he was right - I worked up to a 225 lb deadlift and it felt great.

If anyone is thinking about going to a SS coach (or even a camp), I think you should do it. There is something valuable in having a qualified eye look at your lifts and give you feedback.

Final comment - Mac is a US Marine, and let me say that as an American, I am glad that he is on our side! The guy is huge.

Thanks again Mac.

Sunil

Mac and Gillian rock! Thanks for posting the write-up.

Do they have a yelp or Google? You should put it in there too. I'd like to get that cert eventually. From what I've read about the details and tests for it i don't think another cert comes close.

That's cool. I need to do the same some day. Maybe I'll get down to Springfield and hit the new SS Gym down there.

Thanks for posting about your experience. We're going to have to try to get out there for a session. I wish that there was a Starting Strength facility in the central part of NC.

Default Session with Starting Strength Coach

That's a ringing endorsement. My son is also a Marine stationed in that area. My son has a bit of a bench bro approach to training so, believe me, I'm trying to find an opportunity and his agreement to spend some time with Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Thanks for posting about your experience. We're going to have to try to get out there for a session. I wish that there was a Starting Strength facility in the central part of NC.
    How far are you from Asheville? Tamara is very good also.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    How far are you from Asheville? Tamara is very good also.
    Asheville is slightly closer. Thanks for the suggestion.

starting strength coach development program
    Sunil,

Thank you for the kind words. You were a pleasure to coach, and many gains are in your future. You are always welcome in our gym and in our home.