starting strength gym

Thread: Tracking Loads and Lifting at Different Locations

Default Tracking Loads and Lifting at Different Locations

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have access to four different weight rooms and because of the nature of my job I train at all of them but the location is inconsistent. Ideally I would train at the same gym using the same equipment so that I could precisely track my loads. It's hard to know it I made a real 5 pound increase on my press or if it was due to plate variation. I always write down my numbers in my journal but because I use different equipment I'm not sure if my numbers are always meaningful.

Do you have any recommendations?

A problem I've never had to solve. No point in carry small plates with you, since the base loadings will always be different. We'll ask.

I've considered weighing some plates at each location and marking them somehow. Two of the locations are public school weight rooms and one is a globo gym; it amazes me how often the plates are moved around from one rack to another. There is a York barbell at each site and I'm assuming they are each fairly close to 45 pounds. The plates are a mixture of brands.

I had my eye on the recent discussion about using RPE. Do you think that my situation may warrant the use of RPE? I am doing the Texas program so I've considered Monday's being the "medium" sets of 5, Wednesday's the "light", and Friday's the "hard". I am not in favor of using subjective load assignments but I've been training for a while and, as I've mentioned, I can't track my loads with the necessary precision.

On a side note, do you have any plans of doing a seminar near St. Louis, MO in the near future?

The York bars are almost certainly 20.0 kg. I also am amazed at how plates move around the room. Still amazed, after all these years. My thoughts on RPE have already been discussed, in that thread and in the video with Niki Sims. Watch it.

St. Louis is a possibility.

Thanks for the input. Have not watched that yet but will do.

I know several PE/weight room teachers in this area. The public schools are funding teacher/coaches to do professional development hours so I think I may be able to get a handful of these guys to attend. They would learn a lot and it would channel some taxpayer money back to a worthy organization! A lot of these coaches I'm referring to are going to Bigger Faster Stronger's 1-day clinic. BFS is not the worst program out there but it is not Starting Strength.

starting strength coach development program
    Get a Salter Brecknell digital fish scale (or other accurate portable hanging scale) and a little strap to loop through the hole. Weigh each plate (or group of small plates) before you put it on the bar. Keep those plates for the next exercise so you know what they weigh. My work gym has horrible plates (which also travel around the gym) so I use this method.