starting strength gym

Thread: Losing weight with starting strength and cardio?

Default Losing weight with starting strength and cardio?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I am 6 feet tall and weigh 82 Kg (181 pounds) and want to end up around 75 Kg weight(165 pounds) with some muscle gain.

I have started SS 2 weeks ago and do not have access to coaches who can teach me the technique of the lifts in any gym of my city. Some told me to look up while squatting , Some told me to jerk my back backwards on top of a dead lift and yesterday one told me that the SS program is wrong as i should not do squats and bench press on the same day. ("No two large muscle groups on same day"). I had to substitute my bench press by pushups when he was not looking.

So i am currently on my own so i replaced the clean and jerk with pullups. On alternate days i do 30 mins of walking/jogging with some abs exercises and stretching and 10 mins of fun with the punching bag.

I would like to know if i am doing it right. What exercises i can add on the alternative day so that i lose weight. I am paying close to 30$ monthly in the gym which is a lot in my currency so i can change the gym only at the end of the month.
    Last edited by threeonethree; 08-17-2014 at 06:30 AM.

You are too thin to lose weight and do Ss, you have to be very fat to do it

and 165 at 6 ft is anorexic, you'll never get strong at all

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    You are too thin to lose weight and do Ss, you have to be very fat to do it

and 165 at 6 ft is anorexic, you'll never get strong at all
    I have belly fat i want to get rid of. I cant warm up 5 minutes or run 10 minutes before getting tired or getting shin splints. So i thought losing weight might help and Strength training will help tone everything. Otherwise losing weight would make me look skinny with a fat belly.

Is it possible to have a healthier / leaner body at the same weight (85 KG) if weight loss is not recommended?

You just need more muscle to fill out your "skinny fat" frame. Do SS, eat enough to put on quality weight and you'll look a hell of a lot better at the end of your LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    You just need more muscle to fill out your "skinny fat" frame. Do SS, eat enough to put on quality weight and you'll look a hell of a lot better at the end of your LP.
    Yep. You don't need to lose weight, you need better quality weight on you.

Or not, your call. But you'll make yourself miserable if you start this program with losing weight in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    Yep. You don't need to lose weight, you need better quality weight on you.

Or not, your call. But you'll make yourself miserable if you start this program with losing weight in mind.
    Yeah at this moment in time your concern should be getting to a three plate squat. Jordan can give you diet advice over in the nutrition section to ensure you put on quality weight while getting stronger.

Lots of variables here.

If you really just want to lose a little fat, and don't care at all about muscle, SS might not be for you. There will be a lot of time and effort invested on your end to learn good technique on every lift (especially with the current state of the trainers you listed). If your goals are so moderate, you might be able to reach them with some easier-to-learn stuff like chins, push-ups, etc. and cleaning up your diet. Your goals are certainly well within reach

If you want to make that investment in serious barbell training, buy the book and read each chapter carefully. Post form checks on here to get the basics down. You will undergo a transformation in terms of fat and muscle if you take the time to do it right and this will be very rewarding.

You mentioned specialized ab exercises and trainers pushing bodypart split routines. Just be advised that you can't spot reduce bellyfat by doing endless crunches - a method which at best will exercise your abs a little and at worst will make you flex or twist the back in ways that bother some people.

Lots of ways you can approach this. Definitely clean up the diet first and foremost and then decide which route you want to go for exercise. Barbell training is great. I really enjoy SS and I enjoy introducing people to barbells. But I understand that some people just want to work up a sweat and tone up a little bit - and they don't want to go through the effort of learning the techniques and that's okay.

Best,

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    You seem to be young, so let's sit down and have a fatheresque-son talk.

Quote Originally Posted by threeonethree View Post
    Hi,

I am 6 feet tall and weigh 82 Kg (181 pounds) and want to end up around 75 Kg weight(165 pounds) with some muscle gain.
    Trust me, you don't. 165 lbs at 6 feet is praying mantis and is setting you up for injuries in the future. I'm 211 at 5'11"--I do not look fat. You know why? Because I have a bit of muscle on my frame.

You aren't going to look cut if you don't have the muscular size. You're going to look like a rail-thin dude with a potbelly.

I have started SS 2 weeks ago and do not have access to coaches who can teach me the technique of the lifts in any gym of my city. Some told me to look up while squatting , Some told me to jerk my back backwards on top of a dead lift and yesterday one told me that the SS program is wrong as i should not do squats and bench press on the same day. ("No two large muscle groups on same day"). I had to substitute my bench press by pushups when he was not looking.
    Why are you listening to these jackasses? And why do you care? If you can't follow the program as directed, you aren't going to get results from the program.

You're going to have to choose whether to follow your own path or try to keep other people happy. It's that simple.

When I first started SS, I was squatting 185 for worksets. Every now and then someone would tell me why I shouldn't be holding my breath during sets, or why I should be looking up. I just put up 400 lbs in a meet on Sunday. Do you think those same folks, who are dicking around with the same weights they were a year ago, are telling me how to squat now?

So i am currently on my own so i replaced the clean and jerk with pullups. On alternate days i do 30 mins of walking/jogging with some abs exercises and stretching and 10 mins of fun with the punching bag.
    I'm confused. Clean and jerks are not in the SS program, and pullups don't make an appearance for quite some time after you start (certainly not two weeks later).

Do you have the book?

I would like to know if i am doing it right. What exercises i can add on the alternative day so that i lose weight. I am paying close to 30$ monthly in the gym which is a lot in my currency so i can change the gym only at the end of the month.
    See above.