starting strength gym

Thread: Repetitive Knee Injury Questions

Default Repetitive Knee Injury Questions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Okay, so I've had a similar minor knee injury three times now, and it's annoying as hell, so I figure it's time to really get to the bottom of potential causes. I've created a similar thread before, but I probably wasn't asking the right questions. Here goes. Every once in a while, when I take a big jump in squat weight, even when I'm coming back up to a weight I've previously worked at, something has happened in my left knee. It pops and swells and I don't squat for a while (the point here isn't to identify it. It goes away. I'm inquiring about potential causes). I've thought about it, and I've come up with some good questions.

1. I squat pretty deep, beyond what is required in competition. ATG. Could excessive squat depth result in a minor injury?

2. I go down pretty fast to maximize the stretch reflex and get the most out of the concentric. Could this be a factor?

3. The inciting event in question was my attempting to squat 425 for 3 sets of 5 (the weight was not an issue. I would have gotten it). I'm about 14 months into lifting. Do most people use knee wraps by now? Could I benefit from wraps/sleeves?

4. (Just a puzzlement of mine, probably not really relevant to the discussion) Could the ligaments of the knee be getting stronger at a slower rate compared to the muscle, causing this sort of periodic thing?

5. Are increased warm up periods a good idea?

Any help you could give me with this would be appreciated. If I've left anything out, tell me.

This sounds like a meniscus issue, which heals slowly, if at all. Popping and swelling are rather classic symptoms of that.

1. Squatting ATG is not recommended because you must relax to get there, especially with low bar squats. Are you low bar squatting? If so, start doing it correctly. If not, it is time to get with the winning team.
    2. Yep. Once again, you should learn to squat correctly. Crashing into the bottom of the squat is not a good idea.
    3. I would wrap if I were you, provided you don't have a more serious meniscus issue that requires a surgical fix. It would be wise to get a diagnosis. In the meantime, wrapping or wearing knee sleeves to provide some support should be on your list of things to do after fixing your squat and figuring out what is wrong.
    4. Unlikely. Some people have hypothesized that this happens with anabolics, but I think it is unlikely in your case. You are more likely to have a partial meniscus tear.
    5. For you, warming up more probably is a good idea.

Thank you very much. It seems to be slowly improving, so that's good. If this is what you think, is this something that will just end my lifting/sports career?

I suppose it's worth mentioning that I'm five days out from the initial injury and the popping is gone, just pressure in the knee when I squat and slight occasional pain. Walking is nearly 100 percent, and it doesn't really prevent me from playing football, running or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    Thank you very much. It seems to be slowly improving, so that's good. If this is what you think, is this something that will just end my lifting/sports career?
    Not at all. People get meniscus injuries all the time. The problem is that most connective tissue including cartilage, tendons, and ligaments is almost avascular. It gets little blood supply. Therefore it heals very slowly. This is why tendonosis takes so fucking long to resolve. It will heal, however. If the tearing or fraying of the meniscus is bad enough, assuming that I am right and this is an meniscus injury, it can require arthroscopic surgery to clean it up. Lots of people have had it done and returned to full functioning. You will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    I suppose it's worth mentioning that I'm five days out from the initial injury and the popping is gone, just pressure in the knee when I squat and slight occasional pain. Walking is nearly 100 percent, and it doesn't really prevent me from playing football, running or anything else.
    Then you have your answer. You are already feeling better. Don't push this thing too hard, too early, but use it as much as you can. Clean up your squat technique and provide the knee some external support.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks a lot again!