starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New b&r barbell, 1mm or less bend, is this within tolerance?

Default New b&r barbell, 1mm or less bend, is this within tolerance?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just received my new B&R bar. Amazing!

I tested for it being straight, and it has about 1mm or so wobble and the end of one sleeve when I turn the bar from the other end. 1mm out on 7' might be considered perfect, or maybe it's not - I don't know what a new bar should be? Other peoples experiences?

Thanks,
    Devin

I wouldn't bitch about a mm...its like 4 100s of an inch, negligible, seriously 1/32"<1mm<1/16"

honestly you seeing a bend of 1mm could be a measuring error by you
    Last edited by MattJ.D.; 08-23-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: thanks to Savs : D

For what it's worth, I did more digging in the forum... Mark Rippetoe seems to have said 1mm is bullshit, ask for better.

http://startingstrength.com/resource.../t-32659.html?

I'll follow up with Rogue.

If you have the time, I'd like to see a video.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    If you have the time, I'd like to see a video.
    Sure will. Planned on it anyways for Rogue's benefit.

Do you still have the tubing it shipped in? Reviews/video are always better with an untubing...amirite?

You won't feel 1 mm of run out. I believe an Eleiko bar is guaranteed to within 0.5 mm, so you can extrapolate from there. Even an Eleiko can have a very subtle wobble and be considred "straight."

I asked Rogue about this when I was shopping for bars and they told me the steel they (York... or rather, the industry standard) order has a tolerance of 1/8" and that they do not straighten it. The implication seeming to be that if I ordered a bar and it was bent <4mm they wouldn't replace it. At the time, others were reporting receiving bent bars. It turns out I don't like the B&R knurl at all anyway. I ended up ordering a TPB via Bill Ennis instead.

Off topic: It turned out to be <43#. When I inquired about it, Buddy Capp said "all bars weight within an oz or 2ozs of 44 lbs." At least he offered to replace it, but I declined since I figured out that one of my pairs of collars made the bar 20kg and also because I didn't think the replacement would actually weigh 44lbs. His statement combined with my own measurements of TPBs tell me that something is not right there. They are nice bars for $235, they just don't have tight tolerances. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a Westside bar.

Perhaps Rip's video resulted in a lot of returns and they just don't want to deal with it anymore. Speaking of that video, I think he said 2mm was not that bad. Maybe he was talking about used equipment or maybe I am mistaken, but I'm not watching the thing again, so if you are curious about this then here you go:

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...r_bar_straight
    Last edited by Nate; 08-23-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Excellent news guys. Im videoing tomorrow, yes still have the tube. It arrived in great shape and I have absolutely no complaints. I just want to make sure I get my $$ worth and it's safe/efficient to use - if it's supposed to be perfectly straight then that's what I want. If it's supposed to be within 1mm then that's what I've got and I'm thrilled

Like Nate posted, I'm really going on the Mark Rippetoe platform video on getting a straight bar and other people's experience.

Video tomorrow. Tom, your comments especially appreciated due to your experience - thanks for taking the time to comment.

Thanks all,
    Devin
    Last edited by nated1; 08-23-2014 at 09:34 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8shutr View Post
    Reviews/video are always better with an untubing...amirite?
    Nicely done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast