starting strength gym

Thread: Two Texas Method Questions

Default Two Texas Method Questions

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coaches:

My stats and recent workout history are logged here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=49343

My first question is about programming the press.

The last week I did Texas Method for press, I got 5x5 @ 175lbs on volume day. I missed a week of training due to some family issues, and then did TM for bench last week.

This week, I went for 177.5lbs on TM volume day for press, but only got 4 reps on the first set and subsequent sets.

Question: on this week's intensity day, should I go for 1 set of 5 at the same weight, or should I go for 1 set of 4 at a slightly higher weight?

Second question concerns squats. Last Friday, I did 1x5 @ 415lbs. Here's the video (I squat high bar due to shoulder inflexibility; video is from 90 degrees due to heavy bags blocking your preferred angle):

http://youtu.be/qVWJInBOaZw

Those weren't all to adequate depth, so I plan to repeat that weight this Friday. My question is about my volume day though. 380lbs completely kicked my ass on Monday. I'm wondering if I'm not recovering sufficiently from Friday's intensity day by Monday. Other than repeating the weight and increasing rest time between sets (currently about 10 minutes) next volume day, and getting adequate sleep and nutrition, any suggestions?

Answer 1: There's no way to know for sure. Judgement call based on how your warm-ups feel. When you take time off, you'll always have to go somewhat by feel in terms of what you do when you come back. There's no perfect formula to know exactly how much you backslid during that time off. Missing only a week usually won't lead to too big a slide (unless you were very sick or barely ate or something like that), but there will usually be some re-adjusting to do in terms of acclimation to volume and the feeling of a heavy weight in your hands/on your back.

Answer 2: 380 is a very high % of 415 to be doing for volume. I seem to recall you were doing something other than 5x5 for squat volume though - was it 4 triples? Which isn't really going to work long term for VD, anyway, but I digress. If it were 380x5x5 and 415x5, I'd just drop some weight, drop a couple sets the first week, and then work back up. So the next week, 365x5x3. Then 365x5x4. Then 365x5x5. While moving ID up accordingly. Then you can try adding 2.5lbs at a time to volume day, or, every time you add 5 lbs to VD, you drop a set for a week. So when you go from 365 to 370, you only do 4 sets. Then the next week, do 370x5x5. Then 375x5x4. Then 375x5x5. And so on.

Also, if you struggle to hit your 5 reps on ID consistently, don't be a slave to 5. Switch for a week or two to triples, then move down to doubles etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Answer 1: There's no way to know for sure. Judgement call based on how your warm-ups feel. When you take time off, you'll always have to go somewhat by feel in terms of what you do when you come back. There's no perfect formula to know exactly how much you backslid during that time off. Missing only a week usually won't lead to too big a slide (unless you were very sick or barely ate or something like that), but there will usually be some re-adjusting to do in terms of acclimation to volume and the feeling of a heavy weight in your hands/on your back.

Answer 2: 380 is a very high % of 415 to be doing for volume. I seem to recall you were doing something other than 5x5 for squat volume though - was it 4 triples? Which isn't really going to work long term for VD, anyway, but I digress. If it were 380x5x5 and 415x5, I'd just drop some weight, drop a couple sets the first week, and then work back up. So the next week, 365x5x3. Then 365x5x4. Then 365x5x5. While moving ID up accordingly. Then you can try adding 2.5lbs at a time to volume day, or, every time you add 5 lbs to VD, you drop a set for a week. So when you go from 365 to 370, you only do 4 sets. Then the next week, do 370x5x5. Then 375x5x4. Then 375x5x5. And so on.

Also, if you struggle to hit your 5 reps on ID consistently, don't be a slave to 5. Switch for a week or two to triples, then move down to doubles etc...
    In reference to TM, is the % difference between 5x5 and max 5rm a thing that is supposed to exist naturally, or is it just programmed that way? I've never had a huge difference in my max 5x5 and my max 5rm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    In reference to TM, is the % difference between 5x5 and max 5rm a thing that is supposed to exist naturally, or is it just programmed that way? I've never had a huge difference in my max 5x5 and my max 5rm.
    I don't understand your question. However, the experience of many people doing and coaching others doing the TM is that you need certain offset between your volume work and intensity work to continue progress. This is consistent with what logic and physiology would suggest about the topic as well. What exactly that offset is will vary from person to person and depend on individual circumstances. But a common mistake is having the weight of your 5x5 be too close to your 1x5. It sounds like you may be making that mistake.

Okay, thanks. After I posted this I hurt my wrist, so I'll err on the side of being conservative next time I press.

Okay, thanks. I know 380 is a high % of 415, but that's a result of adding weight on VD while repeating weight on ID in the past. I started out with a ~50lb difference. Interesting suggestion about dropping a set when increasing weight. I'll consider micro loading squats now too. I guess it's reasonable to expect gains to be harder to come by now.

Re the triples: I've been running with Jordan's suggestion of 2-3 weeks of 5 rep sets followed by 2-3 weeks of triples and then a week each of doubles and singles. I've been doing 3 weeks each, but maybe 2 weeks might be more doable.

If you're getting your volume sets but you're missing reps on ID, and there isn't much separation between the two, then inadequate recovery (read: too much volume at too high an intensity in time to recover before ID) is a common culprit. Try the suggestions and see what happens. For ID, See if you can get 415x5, then 420x3x2, 425x2x3, 430x2x3, then maybe another week of doubles before switching to singles. You can play this by feel.

Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    Re the triples: I've been running with Jordan's suggestion of 2-3 weeks of 5 rep sets followed by 2-3 weeks of triples and then a week each of doubles and singles. I've been doing 3 weeks each, but maybe 2 weeks might be more doable.
    I was referring to volume day. Are you?

If you're getting your volume sets but you're missing reps on ID, and there isn't much separation between the two, then inadequate recovery (read: too much volume at too high an intensity in time to recover before ID) is a common culprit. Try the suggestions and see what happens. For ID, See if you can get 415x5, then 420x3x2, 425x2x3, 430x2x3, then maybe another week of doubles before switching to singles. You can play this by feel.
    Ok, will take this under advisement.

I was referring to volume day. Are you?
    I was referring to both, I.e.,

Week 1: 5x5 VD, 1x5 ID
    Week 2: 5x5, 1x5
    Week 3: 4x3, 1x3
    Week 4: 4x3, 1x3
    Week 5: doubles
    Week 6: singles

Repeat

starting strength coach development program
    Your descriptions of weeks 5 and 6 need to be a little more specific.