starting strength gym

Thread: The Role of the Physical Therapist amongst Athletic Clientelle

Default The Role of the Physical Therapist amongst Athletic Clientelle

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Say what you want about the field, I spend a lot of time in hospitals and there is clearly an invaluable job that physical therapists do for the sick, severely injured and people suffering the ills of sedentary life. That role and all it entails is very clear to me.

But I always wondered about the role amongst athletic people. For example I am sure many people here have ended up seeing these PT's after developing common sporting/life injuries, tendonitis/whatever and been given the same treatment modalities that are offered to and work on sedentary or those sufficiently weakened by severe injury/sickness/surgery.

What is a therapist supposed to do with a recreational lifter like most people here, if they develop clicky painful joints, overuse injuries, ligament damage.

Just say "thats life" youve achieved some wear and tear, get over it?

What about professional athletes/teams that keep physio on staff. So working with highly athletic and highly trained. Is there really much for the physio to do here in terms of corrective exercise/rehab? Beyond the really fucking obvious that the athlete and their coaches would know anyhow?

All I can think of for athletic population, is being skilled and willing to provide basic manual therapies, and also analysing movement/injuries for the purpose of any surgery, because lets face it. Ortho's dont put much effort into that.

Any thoughts?

If you have ligament damage you probably need surgery, a good PT can help guide the pace of rehab.