starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift closing in on Squat after week 4.

Default Deadlift closing in on Squat after week 4.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

I've been doing the first phase of Starting Strength for 4 weeks now. I have not integrated the power clean yet. (I know I should have by now).

Deadlifts are the only exercise I've I stalled on so far in my training. I can't push past 215 lb. I now squat 200 lb. just fine which seems odd based on what I've read. After squatting, my left leg is always sore to the point where I just can't deadlift afterwards.

This wasn't happening with my squat a couple of weeks ago, but now it happens every time.

What should I do? Thanks.

Edit: A little info...

I drink the gallon of milk everyday.

I get in about 3500 - 4000 calories a day.

I'm 5'10, 153 lb.
    Last edited by Objectivist; 09-01-2014 at 12:15 AM.

Well, if your deadlift is stalling cos your leg hurts after squatting it sounds like a form issue on the squats, so you should post a video and get a form check. At some point you just can't keep making progress deadlifting every workout. For me that manifested itself by impacting my squat progression, and this didn't happen until my deadlift was up to around 130kg but YMMV (I'm your height but weigh 50 lbs more!).

Try and skip squats on dl day or just do 1 or 2 sets of sq?

Just make sure you gain on dl every week for where you are at.

Post a form check for the deadlift and the squat. Also, are you deadlifting right after your squat sets, or do you follow the suggested order of doing the squats first, then bench or press, and then the deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Post a form check for the deadlift and the squat. Also, are you deadlifting right after your squat sets, or do you follow the suggested order of doing the squats first, then bench or press, and then the deadlift?
    Yeah, your work capacity should be adapting to the point that this is manageable. Also relevant to know: How's your recovery other than eating? Are you sleeping? Are you doing silly cardio stuff throughout the week?

Are you doing GOMAD with skimmed or regular milk?

"do you follow the suggested order of doing the squats first, then bench or press, and then the deadlift?"

-Yes.

"How's your recovery other than eating? Are you sleeping? Are you doing silly cardio stuff throughout the week?"

-I sleep 8 hours every day. I don't do cardio.

"Are you doing GOMAD with skimmed or regular milk?"

-Whole milk

Your squat. We must have videos. Rear 45-degree is the best, but one set at 90-degrees (from the side) may also be useful in this particular case.

Okay will do!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Objectivist View Post
    "do you follow the suggested order of doing the squats first, then bench or press, and then the deadlift?"

-Yes.

"How's your recovery other than eating? Are you sleeping? Are you doing silly cardio stuff throughout the week?"

-I sleep 8 hours every day. I don't do cardio.

"Are you doing GOMAD with skimmed or regular milk?"

-Whole milk
    Well you sure are doing it properly. That much milk should make you annihilate the deadlift. And im sure you will soon.

video. Also how often do you deadlift?