starting strength gym

Thread: Gyms in down-town Chicago

Default Gyms in down-town Chicago

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Probably a long shot but is there anywhere semi decent to train in down-town Chicago? I'm staying at the La Quinta Inn for a couple of days and would love to get a training session in. Won't have a car so it needs to be reasonably close by.

There was a thread on this a few months ago. If you can ride the train (red line), you can go up to Quad's Gym (not the one Ed Coan trains at) off the Addison stop. It's not downtown, but it's not too far and it's easy to get to.

Eleiko has some sort of thing downtown, some guys at 70s Big Chicago went to some lesson or something there.

There are a couple CrossFit(TM) franchises down there, not sure about drop-in rates and just letting you use the equipment.

You wan to go to B&W Gym in a neighborhood called Andersonville. Walk from your hotel to Dearborn and Madison and catch the #22 bus going north (it'll say Howard on the flashsing marquee above the windshield). $2.25 for the bus ride. B&W's got plenty of squat racks and benches. No frills. Here's their number if you want to check their hours or whatever. (773) 561-9692. Enjoy your stay in our fair city.

Quote Originally Posted by Peoria View Post
    You wan to go to B&W Gym in a neighborhood called Andersonville. Walk from your hotel to Dearborn and Madison and catch the #22 bus going north (it'll say Howard on the flashsing marquee above the windshield). $2.25 for the bus ride. B&W's got plenty of squat racks and benches. No frills. Here's their number if you want to check their hours or whatever. (773) 561-9692. Enjoy your stay in our fair city.
    I was a B&W man until I moved out of town 2 weeks ago. I miss it so much. But riding the 22 will take forever (except on, say, Sunday).

Thanks, Quads looks good.

"Conviction" in Chicago is apparently really awesome too, check out some pictures here:

http://www.convictionfitness.com/gallery3.php

$10 drop in charge or something.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    "Conviction" in Chicago is apparently really awesome too, check out some pictures here:

http://www.convictionfitness.com/gallery3.php

$10 drop in charge or something.
    I work out here. It's a great gym, and very close to the "Western" stop on the Brown Line (just 2-3 mins south). The owner and staff are all friendly and good guys, there are three racks and a lot of other free weights. It's pretty spartan, otherwise. Not a lot of cardio equipment, machines, etc., which is the way I like it. The locker rooms suck, but I live nearby so I never use them.

Most of the folks that go there are into MMA and do classes in the ring, but there are also a lot of other guys there doing SS and serious weight training.

Highly recommended.