starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5"65' male - Should I get 4" or 3" belt?

Default 5"65' male - Should I get 4" or 3" belt?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm considering getting my first belt after years of training without one(DL 2.5x body weight, squatting 2x body weight - both for 5 reps).

I'm a short male - 5"65'(172cm), and i'm not sure if I should get 3" or 4" belt(i'm getting it from bestbelts).
    Since I have no experience with a belt whatsoever, i'm not sure which one should I get. I plan to use it both on squat and DL.

Can anyone help me decide?

Thanks.

I am 5'6" and found the 4" Best belt to be a little uncomfortable for deadlifting so I got a 3" one just for deadlifting and bent over rowing. I use the 4" belt for squats,bench and press. I currently don't power clean but am thinking about finally getting into it and would probably use the 3" for them. I have never used the 3" for squats so I can't really tell you how it works for them but If you can't afford both I'm sure the 3" would be ok for squatting. probably not optimal but you are currently not using anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tcul1972 View Post
    I am 5'6" and found the 4" Best belt to be a little uncomfortable for deadlifting so I got a 3" one just for deadlifting and bent over rowing. I use the 4" belt for squats,bench and press. I currently don't power clean but am thinking about finally getting into it and would probably use the 3" for them. I have never used the 3" for squats so I can't really tell you how it works for them but If you can't afford both I'm sure the 3" would be ok for squatting. probably not optimal but you are currently not using anything.
    DItto for me.

I've squatted in my 3 inch and it feels fine, just not as much support as the 4 inch.

If you have some extra fat around the midsection the 3 inch might pinch you for pulls anyways. If you could only choose one get the 4 IMO.

I'm 5'6" and I've weighed from 160 to 185 and everywhere in between and I've always worn a 4" belt (13 mm) for both squatting and deadlifting. It's never been uncomfortable for me at all.

It really depends on how much space you got between you hips and lower ribs.

I'm 5'6" and I can ONLY wear a 4" for Pressing or Sumo Deadlifts, 3" works fine for Squatting but it doesn't offer as much support (I cracked my lower ribs twice using my Inzer), if I could go back in time I would just go with a 13mm 3" belt for Squats.

I'm 5'7" with some extra padding in the mid section and I found the 4" best belts to be too uncomfortable for squats and deadlifts. Its great for presses though. I think ultimately it just comes down to personal preference. Get one and try it. If you don't like it just swap it out.

I'd get the 3. Im 6'4'' and sometimes find my 4 inch inzer pinching me (I think I have a short torso - Im mostly legs). I can only imagine being 5'65'' would be worse. I used to use a cheapo 3'' nylon belt and it never pinched me.

I think at 5 foot and 65 inches you might need a belt a bit bigger than 4 inches...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave 321 View Post
    I think at 5 foot and 65 inches you might need a belt a bit bigger than 4 inches...
    Yeah, I think you'd want something custom if you are 5' 65", which equates to 10' 5".

If you are 5' 6.5", that'd be a different story. I am about the same (5' 6.625", so I'm way taller than you--I made that up, but I am somewhere between 5'6" and 5'7"). I use a 4" belt for both lifts without much difficulty. With your lifts being quite good, I'd bet you have enough good meat in your core to make the 4" belt appropriate for both lifts. I don't think I have 4" between my hip bone and bottom of ribs, but even when the belt is tight it stays off my ribs when I'm contracting my core muscles. Then again, my longish torso for my height (I think) means I'm not quite as leaned over in the squat. And I haven't figured out whether I like being belted at all for deadlift, or if so, exactly how tight to wear it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tcul1972 View Post
    This is the first time I've heard of somebody wanting to use a belt to power clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast