starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training women and kids...

Default Training women and kids...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It's just not that hard, people...

If I lived anywhere near NC, I'd be bringing my wife and daughter over (FWIW, wife is THIS CLOSE to flipping the mental switch and working out with me, daughter sees me doing it and wants to join in as well, so it'll happen in the near future).

The women in the video range in age from 22 to 53. The kids in that clip are 5, 5, and 8, but our kids group actually ranges from 2 to 9 right now. The two girls snatching were using weighted PVC because they are two of the kids that don't weigh enough (like 30 lbs bodyweight) to lift the 5 kg barbell yet. That was our first experiment with the weighted PVC, and it seemed to work well. The older kids are using the 5 and 10 kg bars at this point.

That's really great stuff Tamara. A little too much cardio for my liking though.

The two girls snatching have much better form than I do hahaha :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    The women in the video range in age from 22 to 53. The kids in that clip are 5, 5, and 8, but our kids group actually ranges from 2 to 9 right now. The two girls snatching were using weighted PVC because they are two of the kids that don't weigh enough (like 30 lbs bodyweight) to lift the 5 kg barbell yet. That was our first experiment with the weighted PVC, and it seemed to work well. The older kids are using the 5 and 10 kg bars at this point.
    Are any of the little people competing in the NC Championship this weekend? I have a 7 yo who I'd like to have see other kids lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Robnet View Post
    Are any of the little people competing in the NC Championship this weekend? I have a 7 yo who I'd like to have see other kids lift.
    None of the little ones will be there, but I have 7 other lifters competing. The youngest is 14. I know that Emma Dudak is competing, though. She is 9 and I think she took silver at School Age Nationals this year. Her session starts at 9:00 am. I just have too many lifters this time to manage the younger kids, plus I am also lifting. We're doing an in house meet in December for them.

My daughter turns three next month, so this conjures up a number of questions for me. She has been "interested" in lifting ever since she sat on my lap a year ago when I watched the Platform Video on the power snatch (she gave it a shot just for fun with a mop handle). She even does some strongman event-type stuff with me on weekends.

My questions are:
    How important is form/coaching? Where do you draw the line between correcting a three year old and letting him have fun?
    How do you weight the PVC?
    Do you actually try to program progression with the kids the way you would with an adult?
    Any other issues, concerns, or general tips?

And you are playing george michael at your gym!

Did someone say training women and kids is harder than training adult males?

Kids I can't say in all honesty, my gym is worried about paranoid cotton wool parents suing them so kids don't come in, pretty much. But women... well, it's easier training them than men, they learn new movements more quickly and aren't brought up to believe they know everything already.

I gotta say though... nobody is setting PRs with George Michael playing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by raw32 View Post
    My daughter turns three next month, so this conjures up a number of questions for me. She has been "interested" in lifting ever since she sat on my lap a year ago when I watched the Platform Video on the power snatch (she gave it a shot just for fun with a mop handle). She even does some strongman event-type stuff with me on weekends.

My questions are:
    How important is form/coaching? Where do you draw the line between correcting a three year old and letting him have fun?
    How do you weight the PVC?
    Do you actually try to program progression with the kids the way you would with an adult?
    Any other issues, concerns, or general tips?
    Oh, I just got back from the meet and read this. I can give you a lot more info tomorrow when I am coherent.

The PVC is weighted with sand, but you can add other stuff to make it heavier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast