starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs before bed

Default Carbs before bed

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Since i'm pretty clueless as to how most of the scientific and nutritional stuff works...

If I work out at 430am, would it behoove me to eat a good amount of carbs before I go to sleep? Or will this even affect my workout? I'll already be eating some oatmeal about 30-45 minutes beforehand, and I don't want to consume a large amount of carbs before sleep if it's not going to accomplish anything.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless you are eating a very low carbohydrate diet, you shouldn't be so depleted that the oatmeal wouldn't be enough for you in the morning.

Just make sure you eat enough carbs and protein after your workout.

Okay, cool.

The only reason I ask is because my wife is making a dinner tonight that consists mostly of rice. If it was going to be a major factor in my lifting tomorrow I was gonna try to get some extra servings in.

Since it won't, i'll just adjust it a bit and get some more protein in instead.

Quote Originally Posted by yorick View Post
    Unless you are eating a very low carbohydrate diet, you shouldn't be so depleted that the oatmeal wouldn't be enough for you in the morning.
    I have found this part to be quite true. For me, I need extra carbs at night and again in the morning for my lifts to really pop. The rest of the time most of my carbs are coming from leafy greens, which I would call a pretty low carb diet.

Uncle Carl Guest

I have heard that carbs before bed are bad because if you happen to get an insulin response from the meal you will damper HGH release (which happens the first few hours of sleep). Apparently HGH and Insulin do not play well together. Is there any truth to this?

Just eat your carbs when you feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Just eat your carbs when you feel like.
    You eat YOUR carbs when YOU feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    You eat YOUR carbs when YOU feel like.
    Actually, I mean that anyone can eat their planned amount of carbs at any time of the day. There's no evidence to back the "no carbs after 6pm" and plenty to disprove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Actually, I mean that anyone can eat their planned amount of carbs at any time of the day. There's no evidence to back the "no carbs after 6pm" and plenty to disprove it.
    Yeah. Only addendum I'd add would be to try to focus carbs around your workout if you can.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Yeah. Only addendum I'd add would be to try to focus carbs around your workout if you can.
    I'd say to focus them on workout days more than around workouts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast