starting strength gym

Thread: Lingering Tailbone Injury from a year ago

Default Lingering Tailbone Injury from a year ago

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Firstly, I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this is the wrong category.

I began SS in December 2014. In Feburary 2015, I (male, 19), injured my tailbone while squatting. I don't remember exactly how it happened - as I was lifting the weight up, I did not feel any pain, but I felt an unusual sensation in my back. A few days after that, I began to have soreness in the lower back. I saw a GP, who told me that I had injured my coccyx (tailbone) but that it wasn't broken and that with rest it would heal in some weeks.

After a few weeks, the soreness mostly wore off - I can now sit, stand, and walk around without discomfort. As long as I don't exercise hard it's as if there is no injury. But if I run a long distance - two miles, say - my lower back gets moderately sore, not during running but some time afterwards. Similary, I can't do any lower body weightlifting. I don't feel any pain while deadlifting, but I'll feel it through the next few days. It's been like this to this day.

The pain, when I have it, is never severe and varies in type and location. Most often it's a dull ache in the lower back or buttocks. Sometimes it's more of a burning sensation closer to the skin. It can be a twinge in strange locations, like the inner thigh, or a line of minor pain running down my (usually right) leg - hamstring, knee, ankle etc. Most often it's a combination of the above. However, I almost never feel any sharp pain at the tailbone itself, though at times if I press the tailbone (it juts out when I sit) it hurts.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Has anyone had anything similar?

You'll need an actual diagnosis.