starting strength gym

Thread: Breaking at the hips first

Default Breaking at the hips first

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coaches,

I've been working my way back on an LP after decoding some back issues. 195lbs, 37y/o, best 3x5 squat was 325 in spring 2015.

Here's 285, third set today. I have experimented with breaking at hips and knees at the same time, but it feels like it doesn't allow me to open my hips on the descent, and my knees inevitably travel forward too far when the weight gets heavy. Allowing the hips to break slightly before the knees seems to feel better. Is there any fault in this form?

Thanks,
    Dan

You can break at the knees and the hips at the same time without traveling so far forward and getting on your toes. You need to lean over more and sit back. Think: heels. The timing of knee and hip flexion is not as important as you staying in balance and getting in better positions.

Quote Originally Posted by djsilvera View Post
    Coaches,

I've been working my way back on an LP after decoding some back issues. 195lbs, 37y/o, best 3x5 squat was 325 in spring 2015.

Here's 285, third set today. I have experimented with breaking at hips and knees at the same time, but it feels like it doesn't allow me to open my hips on the descent, and my knees inevitably travel forward too far when the weight gets heavy. Allowing the hips to break slightly before the knees seems to feel better. Is there any fault in this form?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Your hips need to close on the descent not open. A good cue that has been working well for me lately to fix this knees back issue think about "knees down" towards your feet to start the descent or simply "knees down." The reason you are going forward at the bottom is because you aren't placing things where they need to be at the top. Try that and post a video.

Thanks Tom. I can't believe I missed that rocking forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Your hips need to close on the descent not open.
    Robert, I'm referring to the lateral opening of my hips as I shove my knees outward on the descent. Vertically, it does close, I understand that.

Will focus on HEELS and post a followup. Thanks again.

Remedial squats today, third set at 275. I worked on staying in my hips during the descent. I see my heel better planted here.

You are too upright. Lean over a little more and stay that way at the bottom. That will keep you from shifting forward at the end of the descent. Stop lifting your chest. Drive your butt up all the way to the top. You will be leaned over longer on the ascent.

starting strength coach development program
    I really appreciate all your help Tom. I found the TUBOW video useful and will start using it. Also going to be setting up an appointment with 3x5 in Baltimore next month.