starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi, I've recently been having some trouble with my squat. It began 1.5 weeks ago when I reached 170 lb (been doing LP starting with the bar). Squatting 170 I felt sharp pains in my hip flexors that continued the next day after my workout so I decided to give it a break. I then came down with the flu and wasn't able to return to the gym for a week, in effect missing 3 potential workouts. This is my last (3rd) set of 170, having returned to the gym last night. It seems to me that my knees aren't coming forward enough, and I correspondingly feel my weight is biased towards my heels, but I can't figure out how to position myself to balance over my feet better.

How's my form? Anything that might help me avoid straining my hip flexors again? I own SS and have carefully read it in the past, going over the squat section once more currently. I also read Rip's addendum for tightening the lower back muscles and attempted to do this for the video--maybe I wasn't successful enough? Any cues I can use or tips will be greatly appreciated!

170 last set - YouTube

Aside from your starting position, which is incorrect, your squat looks okay. I cannot see how wide your feet are, which is yet another reason why I implore people to read the sticky. Fo realz, peeps, the sticky is there to help us all. You look like you are trying to overextend your spine right before you descend. Don't do that. Just get tight. Now, on to your starting position, why are you starting the squat with flexed knees and hips? Don't do that. Stand up straight. Lock your knees and extend your hips like you would if you were standing up straight.

Also, beefcake, your name is good.

Beefcake! BEEFCAKE! - Video Clip | South Park Studios