starting strength gym

Thread: Brand New to all This and Need Some Guidance

Question Brand New to all This and Need Some Guidance

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Gentlemen:

I have not lifted in 25 years.

I am now 50 years old, morbidly obese, low T and need to change.

Joined our local community gym, which has a decent basic free weights room.

Started a supplementation program that has helped me a lot.

My basic issue is that I need some assistance on my training routines. I am reading "Starting Strength" and have also read "5/3/1" by Jim Wendler.

I fear that my lack of basic knowledge may lead to bad form, or injury.

I live in a rural area, and there are no personal trainers in the area (and I have looked).

Can I get some personal training via telephone?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Congratulations on deciding to do something about your situation. It was an important first step, and you should continue on this road. I dont know exactly where in the PNW you're located, but we have 4 coaches in the Seattle area, one in the very northern part of California, and one in the Vancouver area. If it is at all possible, driving to spend a few hours with any of these coaches will be well, well worth your time. Consultation online or via phone can help, but it is literally a drop in the bucket compared to what you'd get out of an in-person session to begin with any of these coaches. The other thing is that once you've done an in-person session, any follow-up that you do online or over the phone will be massively more valuable as you'll be able to reference the things you learned in person.

Check out the coaches directory to see who you can make it to for a session: SSCA : Coaching