starting strength gym

Thread: The Feasting Holidays Food Thread

Default The Feasting Holidays Food Thread

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Your recipes and pictures go here.

Mr. Rippetoe,

The past few years, my wife has made a pretty good pecan pie. About a week ago, I mentioned your aunt’s pecan pie recipe to her (replacing the white syrup with good old Mrs. Butterworth’s). Well, today, she made the pie with the Mrs. Butterworth’s, and I dare say that it may have had as positive an impact on my life as your books did. As always, my wife, son and I are ever in your debt.

Jalapeno peppers (or red / yellow / orange sweet peppers if you prefer)
    Ground sausage
    Cream cheese
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    Bacon

- Brown sausage
    - Mix sausage cream cheese and cheddar cheese together
    - Prepare peppers split and seed
    - Stuff peppers with cheese / sausage mix
    - Wrap stuffed peppers with bacon
    - Pellet / charcoal / wood smoker at ~325 until bacon is done

Sorry no pics get eaten too fast

I’ve been making maple syrup pie the last few years, from an online recipe. I imagine it’s similar to Rips Aunt’s pecan pie (maple syrup version) except without the pecans, but I haven’t checked the Karo bottle to be sure. And being a Yankee, I use Grade B pure maple syrup instead of Mrs Butterworth.

Original recipe is behind a paywall, but here’s the republished version: 'America’s Test Kitchen' Maple Syrup Pie

I use a store-bought Keebler shortbread crust, as I have no interest in messing with unnecessary baking.

Ive started making a curry pumpkin soup for these fall feasts and it always goes down very well.

Sautee a couple of onions and a bunch of minced garlic and ginger
    Add spice mix (salt, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cardamom, cinnamon) and cook into a paste.
    Put in a blender and add 3 cups of stock - blend until smooth.
    Add one more cup of stock to help get everything off the sides of the blender and add back to the pan. Add in 2 cans of pumpkin puree and simmer for 20 minutes.
    Mix in 16 oz of single cream

Serve

Just enjoyed a pecan pie from a local operation. Failed to get my own picture, but here's one from the store:

https://risenroll.com/wp-content/upl...ecan-Pie-2.jpg

It had an interesting texture mixed-in, almost like plumped whole oats.

Not really a recipe, per se, but my sister's method of serving turkey is to make it well ahead of time, brew up a very large pot of gravy, then carve the bird and mix all the meat into the gravy pot. An effective antidote to the dreaded dry breast meat. Plus, there's a lot of gravy.

I made a turkey sous vide this year. After thawing the turkey, I quartered it. In a hot as hell skillet with butter, I seared the skin of all the pieces. I used gallon ZipLoc bags for the boneless breasts and the dark meat. (4 bags total). Since I only have one sous vide, I did the turkey breast at 131 for 24 hours while the dark meat was in the fridge. After the breasts were done, the dark meat went in the bath at 149 for 24 hours. Thanksgiving day, I brought them up to temp in the the oven.

When I carved into the breast, they were the juiciest I had ever seen. Dark meat was so tender the bone pulled out easily. All of the leftover juices in the bag were used to make some serious gravy. If you guys have the patience, I heartily recommend trying sous vide.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Just enjoyed a pecan pie from a local operation...It had an interesting texture mixed-in, almost like plumped whole oats.
    May have been a hybrid. Oatmeal pie is a very good thing, especially any time nuts are too expensive or good ones are not available.