starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys,

I've read both the books (SS and PPST3) and countless threads on here, and I've taken in as much as I can. I feel it's time to see if I've learned something, and to be able to go back and look up what didn't stick.

I appreciate you taking the time to look at my video!

I'm 183 cm and I weigh around 88 kg. The deadlift are 5*145 kg. I've done 5*150 kg at 76 kg bw, but I've lost that feeling of being like a piston, just moving up and down no matter the weight on the bar. So I hope it's technique, and not weakness.

http://youtu.be/SDjX0eCZ5IA

These are pretty good pulls, Berg. Textbook setup. It might just be the camera angle, but it looks like you might be exaggerating the lockout a bit by rolling your shoulders back. At lockout, just stand tall. Good pulls overall.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    These are pretty good pulls, Berg. Textbook setup. It might just be the camera angle, but it looks like you might be exaggerating the lockout a bit by rolling your shoulders back. At lockout, just stand tall. Good pulls overall.
    This was exactly my impression too. Very good form. Right side of the bar rolls/drifts forwards a little on the first 2 reps. Agreed on the exaggerated lockout. Perhaps a little too slow on the eccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Thank you! I was so focused on the setup that I forgot the top. I'll remember that for my next pulling session.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    This was exactly my impression too. Very good form. Right side of the bar rolls/drifts forwards a little on the first 2 reps. Agreed on the exaggerated lockout. Perhaps a little too slow on the eccentric.
    Thanks! I'll focus a bit more on the rolling on the floor. I still feel a bit uncomfortable setting up with my hips this high, so I have a tendency of dropping them just a little bit if I anticipate the load to be really heavy.

It's funny though how fast my preferences for how to set up my pull and where to place the bar for squats etc. can change. They go from "what the hell this can't be right" to "why didn't I do this sooner", when the placement of the hips in the air or the bar on the back all of the sudden allows for 15 more kgs on the bar.

The slow eccentric is due to a pretty eccentric gym staff that is very caring of its ingeniously placed wooden floor in the free weight area. I have access to a platform once a week, so I'll try to see if a faster eccentric allows for more weight on the bar.

Thanks again!

Don't forget to lock your knees. And for goodness sake teach the people there about rock and roll.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Don't forget to lock your knees. And for goodness sake teach the people there about rock and roll.
    Ok, good. It seems I'll have to focus more on the top more in general.

And about the music... tell me about it-.-

Try googling "Arvingarna Eloise" or "Carola främling" and you'll discover the Swedish genre called "schlager", which, for some reason, seems to be favored by most gym owners.