starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Replacing Power Cleans

Default Help: Replacing Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've restarted SS after a ~2 month hiatus, with an emphasis on actually sleeping enough this time around.

Old PRs in parentheses:

Body weight: 145lb? Haven't weighed in a while
    Height: 5'6"
    Squat: 180 (245)
    Press: 75 (105)
    Bench: 125 (145)
    Deadlift: 185 (215)

In addition, I'm also trying to regear my mind to try to be as explosive as possible coming up. I'd like to know if this is just a recipe to tearing all my joints apart, though.

Notably, there are no powercleans here. My foolish gym prohibits all Olympic lifts and variations besides deadlifts, and suffice it to say that there is no alternative lifting facility that I could use; I'm stuck with what I've got.

I use the novice program (squats->press/bench->DLs/chins/pulls) because of this, but I'm also in desperate need of explosive strength as a practitioner of Judo. Is there any way I could amend the program to accommodate my needs?

... also, I'm trying to start my reps on press with the positive at the bottom, whereas I essentially used the benching action on my press before. Is this at all useful?

Thanks.

stonerider Guest

alternate the deadlifts with pendlay rows

explosive is fine as long as you stay tight

Maybe do clean pulls? If the OL police bother you, you could probably convince them that you're doing dynamic shrugs or something. It will be harder to quantify progress, though.

I should specify: while I appreciate suggestions of exercise, I need to know how to work them into the program, like Stonerider has done.

Stonerider, aren't you the guy that everyone reviles because they misinterpret your argument about vanity in relation to strength or something?

That's not why we revile him.

Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post
    In addition, I'm also trying to regear my mind to try to be as explosive as possible coming up. I'd like to know if this is just a recipe to tearing all my joints apart, though.
    The important thing is that the movement is smooth and correct. If it's smooth, then sure, do it as explosively as you want. But herky-jerky doesn't work well.

I use the novice program (squats->press/bench->DLs/chins/pulls) because of this, but I'm also in desperate need of explosive strength as a practitioner of Judo. Is there any way I could amend the program to accommodate my needs?
    What will happen if you do power cleans in your gym, will someone actually come and tell you to stop? Is there a gym monitor that goes around and makes sure all the rules are followed? Sorry to break it to you, but there is no replacement for power cleans besides full cleans, power snatches, and full snatches. Fortunately, your judo shouldn't miss it too much, they really wouldn't make a huge difference anyway. The best thing you can do is to get your squat back into the mid 200s, your deadlift (which is/was very low for your weight) closer to 300, and your press and bench back to their previous numbers and beyond.

... also, I'm trying to start my reps on press with the positive at the bottom, whereas I essentially used the benching action on my press before. Is this at all useful?
    What the heck do you mean by this?

Starting Strength says that starting the press at the top is probably not the optimal way to do it, but it's what I'm doing. I was under the impression that the "right way" to do it is to start it on my chest and then push up, and then let it rest on my chest again before the next rep, but I'm taking my rest at the top.

Also, I'm hesitant to sacrifice my deadlifts, but if pendlay rows really would help...

A deadlift is a lower body exercise and a pendlay row is an upper body exercise, so there is little overlap between them. Where are you getting the idea that doing one would interfere with the other? Anyway, your deadlift is weak, and you shouldn't worry about much else until you strengthen it.

Starting Strength says that starting the press at the top is probably not the optimal way to do it, but it's what I'm doing. I was under the impression that the "right way" to do it is to start it on my chest and then push up, and then let it rest on my chest again before the next rep, but I'm taking my rest at the top.
    If you're going by what the book says, you can do it either way.

stonerider Guest

once you get to heavier press weights, starting the reps from the top after the first one (so you touch-and-go off your chest) allows you to make progress for a lot longer, and thus, gain strength quicker

with the pendlay rows (which is like a power row... bar starts on the floor like power clean, you use your legs to accelerate the bar and then row the bar to finish the movement and place it on the floor again for the next rep), you're just replacing power cleans with those... it's in the starting strength book. they're good because they give your deadlift a chance to recover while still working your back... they also help counter-act the bench press

for example:

day a
    ------
    squat
    bench
    deadlift

day b
    ------
    squat
    press
    pendlay row

some people here don't like me because i can be abrasive and it's apparently a carebear-fest around here

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    once you get to heavier press weights, starting the reps from the top after the first one (so you touch-and-go off your chest) allows you to make progress for a lot longer, and thus, gain strength quicker

with the pendlay rows (which is like a power row... bar starts on the floor like power clean, you use your legs to accelerate the bar and then row the bar to finish the movement and place it on the floor again for the next rep), you're just replacing power cleans with those... it's in the starting strength book. they're good because they give your deadlift a chance to recover while still working your back... they also help counter-act the bench press

some people here don't like me because i can be abrasive and it's apparently a carebear-fest around here
    Some people (actually everybody) here don't like you because you are a troll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast