starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypertrophy Program Recommendation 3 days for 3 to 4 weeks

Default Hypertrophy Program Recommendation 3 days for 3 to 4 weeks

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    What is a good 3 day week hypertrophy program for someone who has been hardcore starting strength for about 6 months now?

Sorry if there are already several other post with this same question. If so, just direct me to the other threads. I just didn't have time to waste hours of my employer's time surfing fitness forums and I wanted to start a hypertrophy cycle tomorrow.

I want to switch it up for 3-4 weeks and do the "bodybuilding thing". Here are my current statistics:

BW 200
    Squat 3 x 5 x 350
    Bench 3 x 5 x 275
    Deadlift 1 x 5 x 390
    Press 3 x 5 x 165
    Power Clean 3 x 5 x 240

Some of the powerlifters I work out with are pretty "ripped" and follow more of a powerbuilding style routine. They still do the main lifts based off of a percentage, but most of their assistance exercises are are done in a high rep range. They also have a light day for the main lifts which is usually 10's and 20's, so again, more hypertrophy based. This isn't a straight BB program, but they manage to look bigger and are elite powerlifters too. Kind of the best of both worlds.

They do a 4 day routine (split), but I'm sure you could do the same sort of thing with 3 days. There program looks something like this:

M- Heavy bench (percentage based), 4-5 assitance exercises done in a higher rep range. We do stuff like Hammer Strength Rows, Pulldowns, DB Incline Press, Shoulder Press, etc. Pick what you need to work on.

T- Lighter volume leg day (10's for squat, 10's for DL, sometimes DE work in there), 2-3 assistance exercises, again pick what you like, could be leg press etc, use higher reps.

Th- Lighter volume upper body day (closegrip bench 10's), 4-5 assistance exercises

Fri/Sat Heavy Lower body day, percentage of max for Squat and DL, 1-2 assistance exercises.

They do a lot more than me, but I sort of model my training after it. I do less assistance stuff and focus on a few other lifts that they don't (OHP).

You could so Layne Norton's PHAT. You could also do 5/3/1 for powerlifters, working up to a heavy single, doing the 5/3/1+ set as a back off, then hitting up 2-4 high rep, minimal rest assistance exercises.

You are probably going to need more than 3 or 4 weeks in order to see results.

I'm a big advocate of 5/3/1 with "Big But Boring" assistance work. It's higher reps on your extra lifts, but it'll keep you strong(er).

I didn't see the 4 week part of your OP. In that case, maybe smolov squats + bench?

5/3/1 has a couple of templates that are meant to pack on size. Joe Brock mentioned "Boring But Big" above, and there's a bodybuilding one as well. 5/3/1 is normally a 4 day per week program, but can be configured for 3 days if needed by putting, say, the OHP and deadlift 5/3/1 days on the same day.

Have you completed your SS novice/linear progression? If not, make sure you milk all you can out of linear progression on the big five.

Then, I would reduce all my weights by 20% and start a new linear progression with that weight, only instead of 3 sets of 5 reps, start doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps. The big five lifts plus pullup and straight bar curls at reps that induce hypertrophy can be continued in a linear form at higher reps for bodybuilding purposes.

Once you complete that linear progression, you will need to stary playing around with more complicated programming. But for now, I would stick with linear programming and just go with a higher rep ranger. Don't overdose on bobybuilding style single joint concentration exercises until you are so massive that the deficiency in your (let's say) rhomboids becomes apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    5/3/1 has a couple of templates that are meant to pack on size. Joe Brock mentioned "Boring But Big" above, and there's a bodybuilding one as well. 5/3/1 is normally a 4 day per week program, but can be configured for 3 days if needed by putting, say, the OHP and deadlift 5/3/1 days on the same day.
    I came here to recommend BBB as a hypertrophy program. I though that this was the bodybuilding variation of 5/3/1. Is there a different one I don't know about?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by snailfacts View Post
    I came here to recommend BBB as a hypertrophy program. I though that this was the bodybuilding variation of 5/3/1. Is there a different one I don't know about?
    There's a "Bodybuilder Template" in this article: http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/w...531-variations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast