starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Chalk

Default Alternatives to Chalk

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've read that using a natural grip(e.g. no gloves) increases grip strength and Rip recommends chalk.

in case my gym doesn't allow it, are there any alternatives to chalk that I can use? i'll be working out at my school's gym, which is free.

eco chalk balls. Liquid chalk. Can find on amazon. Or just use normal chalk and don't make a mess.

stickum :-)

Liquid chalk. Just make sure it dries up before you grip the bar, otherwise the bar might get dirty/sticky.

liquid chalk? stickum? does it dry pretty fast?

I'm only asking in case we're not allowed to use chalk since I'll be using a school gym and it's free for students.

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. My gym has doesn't allow chalk, but no one's ever said anything to me. I just keep it discreet and don't use too much to make a mess.

Yeah, each gym at my university has a sign saying no chalk allowed, but guys use it a lot. Just be courteous and clean it up well afterwards. I doubt any of the employees will say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenden View Post
    It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. My gym has doesn't allow chalk, but no one's ever said anything to me. I just keep it discreet and don't use too much to make a mess.
    +1

Well crap! I posted something with a link that apparently didn't pass muster. REI sells a bag called the MetoliusSuper Chalk Eco Ball Chalk & Chalk bags. The Gold's I work out has never made an issue of chalk that I know of but I figure, why stir up trouble? The bag is a little larger than a baseball, it doesn't produce a cloud of dust, and it doesn't leave a crumbly residue that Ahab could use to track Moby Dick with. It's worked well for me, I bought a bag for just under $4 last year and I figure I can stretch it out until early 2011.

Of course I realize that I have provided our resident comedian here Ian with a target rich environment for follow on abuse with my Ahab comment.

starting strength coach development program
    Damn, sucks that chalk is highly recommended but may or may not be allowed. I can be discreet, but I don't want to risk getting banned from something that's free.

Can I just use a towel and wipe my hands off instead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast