starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At What Weight Did You Start Using a Belt?

Default At What Weight Did You Start Using a Belt?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have searched the forums and I know people ask this question on and off, but unfortunately, the bulk of what I found was pertaining to individual logs. So... in an attempt to bring information together for the next searcher I figured I'd put together a thread (maybe 1 of a 100).

At what weight did you decide to start using a weight lifting belt? What was your reasoning? To clarify, I am speaking about the weight you were lifting for your core exercises, not your body weight.

I have been trying to hold out for a 3-plate Squat before I go to a belt, but I'm wondering if at 250lbs I should start using a belt for Squats.

I've also heard varying things that a belt strengthens your core muscles with something to push against and is in no way a crutch but only a benefit. I've heard that it allows you to put up more weight but remains a crutch because you can't do the same weight without. I've heard it supports your lower back and helps with Squat form, and I've heard that it just offers support but won't affect form.

Personally, I am concerned as my Squat weight increases, I am beginning to have a hard time getting my chest and hips to rise simultaneously. I am finding my legs will drive up but my core either isn't strong enough and my upper body lags behind on the ascent. I figured perhaps this is why others are opting for a belt and was hoping to gather some intel.

Thanks.

I held out for a 3-plate squat. Then I added a belt.

If you're starting to struggle and you're in the high 200s, I don't think we'll look down on you for using a belt.

Heh, thanks for the response Gzt. I'm glad I will still retain some respect from my peers and you haven't lost all respect for me already .

My goals are to hit .75BW for Press, BW for Bench, 1.5BW for Squat, and 2BW for Deadlift before I leave Linear Progression for beginners and hit Advanced Novice (ie add in some Pull-Ups and Dips). So at 240lbs that puts me at about a 360lb Squat, which is 55lbs past the belt starting point.

I figure at some point my body has to reach a place where the skeletal structure/muscle structure is not capable of handling the weight without starting to give underneath and although that spurs adaptation, somewhere along the lines you have to reach that threshhold. I would imagine as a novice lifter, somewhere around a 300lb Squat is where that may occur.

Thanks again and looking forward to more honest replies.

I was at mid 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post
    My goals are to hit .75BW for Press, BW for Bench, 1.5BW for Squat, and 2BW for Deadlift before I leave Linear Progression for beginners and hit Advanced Novice (ie add in some Pull-Ups and Dips).
    Are you not doing any chin-ups and/or pull-ups now? They are considered part of the program before you hit the advanced novice with the light squat Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    [Chins] are in the program from the beginning, so I obviously consider them important.

No, I am not doing pull-ups/chin-ups at this stage in my progression. When I read the book, as well as the Starting Strength LP program it stated Workouts A/B as follows:

Workout A:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

Workout B:
    Squat
    Press
    Power Clean

He mentioned that he does not include assistance exercises like curls, etc, because people will do them anyways. I did not include chin-ups/pull-ups, because I know that when I hit advanced novice I won't have much of a problem getting back "that strength." I want to focus my energy on the core exercises and build from there. I will not argue that chin-ups are an excellent compound exercise, but if I exhaust myself further by dong them, I may stall on one of the core exercises the following workout.

I would however like to keep this thread on topic as it is of great interest to me. If you wish to discuss this further I would be happy to in my log.

When did you start using a belt and what was your reason or what drove you to decide to use one?

I bought one because I was at the US at the time and I heard around here that it is a useful thing to have in your gym bag.

I started using one around 270-280. I'm at 305 now. I think I started using one at around the right time, and it's definitely helping.

Awesome! Thanks for the input guys, looking forward to more responses. I think if nothing else, this may help other people make the decision about when/if they should get one.

Much appreciated.

starting strength coach development program
    After I squatted 3 platez and deadlift 4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast