starting strength gym

Thread: Basement furnaces and oxygen level

Default Basement furnaces and oxygen level

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I train in the shared basement of our three-unit building. The 1000 square foot basement contains two gas forced hot air furnaces, one oil forced hot air furnace, three gas water heaters, and two gas dryers. Anyone have an idea whether the oxygen level in the basement is low enough to worry about it affecting my training?

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

The oxygen required for keeping those flames lits will be drawn down to the basement through the vents. Otherwise, the flames would eventuually go out. I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you've trained down there before and havent felt dizzy from lack of oxygenn, I'm sure it's fine. Humans require an atmosphere of 21 percent O2. Any less than that, and you'll notice it very quickly.

I'd be more woried about carbon monoxide and radon levels if the ventilation sucks, though I wouldnt really be that worried at all.

You don't even absorb half of the oxygen you breath in right? That's the extent of my knowledge on this subject.

Actually, low oxygen is not really noticeable except when you feel winded for no reason. I too would be more concerned about carbon monoxide and dioxide.

You can get a CO detector. Some of them can also display or warn about CO2 or low O2. Or just train.

You could also get a canary. They are pleasant and will die before you in case of a problem. Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    You can get a CO detector. Some of them can also display or warn about CO2 or low O2. Or just train.

You could also get a canary. They are pleasant and will die before you in case of a problem. Simple!
    There was this comic strip I saw in a lab in France that worked with radioactive stuff. It went like "Oh my god, the canary has cancer! stop the reactors!". Scientists are a funny bunch.

The only way to combat this is to occasionally drink beer while training. I'm sorry.

Open a window?

starting strength coach development program
    Run upstairs, take a breath and hold it, run back downstairs, then complete an entire set on one breath.
    It will be amazing.

Be sure to run back upstairs before breathing again.