starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training in the Cold.

Default Training in the Cold.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I am currently in Indiana visiting my parents and my father just finished building a power rack in his garage, this is very good since I can keep on track with my training while here for the holidays, also good for my father since he is going to start lifting. Well the down side is there is no heat in the garage it has been in the mid to low 20's when I am lifting, and I have found I cannot keep my muscle warm enough I am warm enough I still sweat, my muscle are stiffer and I have had to drop my work set 20-30lbs depending on the lift I spend plenty of time warming up. Is there anything I can do or should I just stay backed off and pick up where I left off when I get back to a gym that is heated?

Get the old man to buy a portable heater to heat the garage during your workouts.

Unfortunately that is not an option ha ha.

You're wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt, right?

I work out in an unheated garage as well. I do not experience any performance degredation once I am warmed up. Make sure you are wearing lots of layers, and most importantly, a hat. I typically wear two t-shirts (usually one is long sleeve) and two sweatshirts. If its in the thirties I can usually take off one sweatshirt. When its colder I leave both on. I also wear either lined warm up pants, or synthetic fleece pants (when its below twenty). The worst part for me (once I'm warmed up) is changing the plates, as those feel like they are -150 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by rumptis View Post
    Unfortunately that is not an option ha ha.
    Why not? Maybe buy him one.

I lift in an unheated basement in Indiana. I wear under armor when I lift. It looks goofy, but it keeps me warm.

I thought about inventing a bar with a heating element in it. Plug it in for 10 minutes while you warm up and it heats to 30C's or so.
    Then I thought about the fact that I'd be selling them by the ... ones.
    So now I just point my propane heater at the bar and a few plates while I warm up. The garage gets warmer plus it feels nice to put your hands on a warm plate or bar.
    Oh well.

After I typed this I thought of another idea... just get those insulating blankets that plug in, for water pipes and wrap that around the bar for a few minutes. I think I'll just sell this as an invention. PM me if you want to buy one from me. I'll only mark up what I get from Home Depot a little.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 12-27-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Below freezing is kind of miserable.

Conserve heat at every point during the workout.

Definitely keep the bar in the warm house until it is needed. Throw an electric blanket over the bar between sets if it is really cold.

Rubber coated plates are nice in the cold. Otherwise gloves to change plates.

Long johns and sweat pants. T-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, fleece sweatshirt. Down jacket or blanket, scarf and toque when resting.

Hot water bottle to hold if your hands get cold.

Stand on some foam when resting so the heat isn't drained through your feet.

starting strength coach development program
    Those are some great ideas guys I think the extra layers is what I need most I was just wearing t-shirt, sweat shirt, and sweat pants. As for getting any of the others stuff I am just about broke I am on my way to collage where the gov, loans and a small scholarship will be paying for school and food. I really think I just need to bulk up on the layers then, it has been in the mid to low 20's here at my parents place it is in Indiana also. The water bottle sounds great to my hands getting cold from the plates does not bother me once I get warmed up. So layers it is and I have been wearing a hat. some day in the future I will have my own place and will prolly be with out a heated place to lift once I get my own weights so these things will help me even more then when I can no longer use the schools nice free heated gym. Good thing it is free and heated since it is in Idaho and is quite a bit colder than southern Indiana. You guys Rock!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast