starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pain in groin on one side during squat

Default pain in groin on one side during squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I'm a 43 yo male, 6-2, 242 lbs, no lifting since college, started on another program doing 5x5 until finding SS3 and PP. Been training since early September and am still on LP although I fear I am reaching the end of LP or at least LP every workout on squat and deadlift. My lifts have made it to: DL 275, Sq 245, Bench 170, OHP 120, and BB Rows 150. (I know, I know, I will be doing PCs as soon as I can get home gym set up.)

So far I've only really struggled on squats and even early on felt like the added weight was ok each workout except that in one spot in my left groin I felt my hip was going to pop loose! Now the problem I am having is as much pain in my left groin (looking at p49 of SS I think it'd be the Gracilis?) as it is the added weight each workout. I feel like I could keeping pushing more weight on squat but the pain is limiting my capacity. Last week the day before Thanksgiving I tried 250 on squat and couldn't get 3x5 due to the pain and so took it easy for the holiday and hit it again today with a deload to 225. I had no problem per se with the weight for 3x5 but my left groin still hurt like heck. I've tried a wider stance/narrow stance/toes more in/toes more out, lifting barefoot, etc. but can't seem to find a position that doesn't hurt pretty bad even during warm ups. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm fine with pain and will keep training through it but it's slowing me down and am not sure what to do.

BTW thanks for everything you've provided in terms of this site and your books. I'm only down a couple of lbs in the last 3 months but my body composition is changing rapidly (2 inches off of waist already, chest, arms, and legs all starting to look like they did in my football days) and it is GREAT to feel strong again. I plan to make this a lifelong pursuit and am so thankful for your expertise. Have started buying SS as gifts for people -- employees, friends, and now even my 73+ yo father.

Thanks and best wishes,
    Robert

How did the pain start? What did you do wrong? How long ago? Old injury? Have you tried a narrow stance?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How did the pain start? What did you do wrong? How long ago? Old injury? Have you tried a narrow stance?
    Pain started about a month ago and I first noticed it during squats but don't think it happened during squats. At least I don't recall a specific moment when it popped or tweaked. It's just hurt more and more as the weight has gone up. I suspect I could have injured it outside the gym (lumberjacking and sliding around on steep hills). My other thought though was perhaps there is a common squat form problem that tweaks the groin. Like you said in the books though injuries outside the gym are much more common than those under the bar. I have not consistently tried a narrower stance but will do so. I just wasn't sure if I need to adjust the way I do squats for a while (if there is a way to put less strain on groin while squatting and it sounds like a narrower stance will) or whether I needed to either layoff squats for a short period (don't want to) or do an alternate exercise until it heals.

Video.

Yes sir. Will post ASAP...

Well the video did the trick without even posting it. Was apparent I wasn't hitting depth even though I thought I was. Don't know if I shallowed out as the weight got heavier, or the pain got worse, or both. Anyway, seeing the problem I stripped from 245 to 185 and made sure to get too depth. Hurt like #$# so called it a day after one full depth set of 5. Then, went back into the gym on Friday, and warmed up only to 135. Even warmups at depth hurt and 135 at depth felt just as bad as full weight did before. Stopped there and ground out 135x5x3 at full depth. Probably shouldn't have because now groin hurts all the time -- not just during squat.

So, seeing that I'm obviously dealing with a groin pull, I used the handy dandy search feature and have found Starrr's rehab protocol. Will go back to bodyweight squats and rehab as per the protocol but wanted to asked your advice. Some advise taking some time off completely before starting protocol, others say jump right in. Also, some say do NO lifting during rehab, others say all but squats can be done as normal. (This is from this forum and web searches.) I can't imagine giving up all lifts. Don't even like starting over on squats and my other lifts aren't affected. (Pulled 285x5 no problem.) Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Start with a very narrow stance, toes pointed straight ahead, and squat to depth with whatever weight the stance permits, and work that weight through progressively widening stances for 2 weeks. If you have a groin pull, it will not hurt much, although you have to make it hurt a little or you're not rehabbing the tear. If it hurts even at close stance toes forward, you have a hip injury.

This is why everybody should come to the seminar.

Start with a very narrow stance, toes pointed straight ahead, and squat to depth with whatever weight the stance permits, and work that weight through progressively widening stances for 2 weeks. If you have a groin pull, it will not hurt much, although you have to make it hurt a little or you're not rehabbing the tear. If it hurts even at close stance toes forward, you have a hip injury.

This is why everybody should come to the seminar.
    Thanks for the advice (will report back on results if it would help anyone else in the future) and agreed! Any planned for the DC area? Even better Northern Virginia? I've checked the schedule often but the closest I saw was a squat clinic in NYC and I couldn't make that date. Heck, I'd take the whole seminar and go for the SSC certification and open a black iron gym here in northern VA if I could... Hell hath no fury like a convert! Despite this setback I'm seeing great results in every other way and am so appreciative of all you've done. Merry Christmas!

Start with a very narrow stance, toes pointed straight ahead, and squat to depth with whatever weight the stance permits.
    I understood from the text that toes out/knees over toes was necessary to avoid hip impingement. What am I missing?

starting strength coach development program
    You are missing the groin injury.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast