starting strength gym

Thread: Squat - sharp temporary pain lower right abdomen

Default Squat - sharp temporary pain lower right abdomen

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe,

I sometime have a sharp pain in the lower right abdomen at the bottom position of the squat. It really feels like I'm pushing against a really really tight belt, like an elastic band that can no longer stretch. One of the personal trainer at my gym told me that it might be because of a tight psoas. It seems logical but the fact that it only happens on my right side is worrying me, like if I tore something. Keep in mind that I have only started squatting 3 weeks ago so my form isn't perfect of course. But I did read your book and watched your coaching video on the squat.

After some air squat testing with a broomstick, I have found that I'm able to trigger this pain to almost the same degree as when squatting 200 pounds. Also, I think it only occurs when i inhale a lot of air in my diaphragm (belly). I'm guessing that this balloon of air when pushed against my tight psoas at the bottom of the squat is whats creating the sharp pain. Also, I'm thinking that I might be squatting too low which I'm guessing would further increase the pressure of the belly against the psoas.

Do you agree with my analysis and what would you suggest me to do to fix the issue?

Btw sorry for my english and wall of text :S

The only thing I know about this with absolute certainty is that it has nothing to do with your psoas. If it persists or gets worse, have it evaluated by someone familiar with human abdominal anatomy.

Alright will do, thanks for the advice coach!