starting strength gym

Thread: belt use w/injury

Default belt use w/injury

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    coach rip,

i have a herniated disk and i was wondering your take on using a belt more frequently when training with an injury? In BBT you say that the use of a belt will not lead to the weakening of the abs or lower back muscles. i have realized that using a belt has helped me with the use of better form especially with the press because of the actual feeling of the abs contracting compared to without the belt. i understand not using the belt as a crutch per se but if it helps with consciously keeping a tight ab contraction to keep good form and it doesnt make you weaker why not use the belt more frequently when training especially with a back injury.

i also was hoping for some advice on how to push my training without injuring myself further without knowing it until its too late. the only pain i experience is sciatic pain which has diminished after the shot i received. i can squat and deadlift without pain now but i was wondering the spinal load and compression that may be an issue making the injury worse. would more front squatting be better or any other changes?

any advice would be appreciated thanks

This is what the belt is for. The abs can contract harder against it than without it. If you can squat and deadlift without pain, I'd say you're approaching things correctly without changing your program.