starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0 chinups/pullups/dips

Default 0 chinups/pullups/dips

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone, I am currently in my 4th or so month in SS, got a small question.

I got to the point where after a workout I simply can't do any more assitance excersices, I used to do lots of dips and chinups before SS and also in the first couple of months of SS itself as assistance excersices, but now after a heavy deadlift or heavy PC I can't do anything, fatigue takes in and after 90 minutes I just wanna take a shower and go eat something

I used to go through sets of 5 with 10KG on my chinups and sets of 5 with 20KG on the dip bar, with no extra weight I could do like 14 chinups and more then 20 dips, not sure if I can do even 8 now as I kinda neglected them and gained weight ofc(total weight going from 183 before SS towards 212 now in the middle of SS and rising)

I was wondering if I should worrie about dips and chinups and maybe involve them somehow in the workout, or would they remain strong as long as I keep adding weights to the big 5 from the book? I mean if I start doing them again will they be drasitcally weakened as I didn't involve them in the last 2 months?(and for that matter, I won't be doing them in the next 4-5 months either)

If I was you I'd carry on with my linear progression and leave out dips chins/pullups etc until you switch to TM. As long as the core lifts are going up, you're getting stronger and bigger.

Chins can help you avoid some imbalances. I'm pretty sure Rip considers them part of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    [Chins] are in the program from the beginning, so I obviously consider them important.
    He has also stated chins are important to help the pressing movements.

My routine on a given day could look something like that:

squat
    2X5Xbar
    1X5X40KG
    1X3X60KG
    1X1X80KG
    3X5X110KG

Bench:
    2X5Xbar
    1X4X40KG
    1X2X60KG
    3X5X85KG

Deadlift:
    1X5X40KG
    1X3X60KG
    1X2X85KG
    1X1X115KG
    1X5X145KG

This workout would take me something like 80-90 minutes without screwing around in the gym, and after a PRd deadlift I feel like I was hit by a truck and can do no other movements.
    The PC day is even longer sometimes, as the 5 sets of the PC take much effort and time, and I don't think I can do anything after that volume either...

Where would u have me involve chins in the program, and how many sets and reps in that matter?
    Or should I go with Aslin and just take the lifts to a good level then start doing chins/dips in TM?

I believe I got like 3 more months in SS, since I have been very conservative in the squat weight due to a weak technique, which now doesn't stop me so I can really start gaining some weights towards my personal goal of finishing at atleast 140KG for 5 reps
    Last edited by SmokingSnake; 11-16-2010 at 08:13 AM.

I think not doing chins for a whole bunch of time is a very nice to get weak at chins. You can buy a chin bar and leave it at home, and do your sets after you come home and have rested a while. I don't know about doing them on your off days, you could try that and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokingSnake View Post
    Where would u have me involve chins in the program, and how many sets and reps in that matter?
    Do the Onus Wunstler program in the back of Starting Strength. This is the answer to your question.

Or should I go with Aslin and just take the lifts to a good level then start doing chins/dips in TM?
    If you want to get bad at doing chinups and leave out an important part of the program, then yes, follow Aslin's advice. If you want to improve then keep chinups in there and do what is recommended in the book.

Whatever you do, remember that as you gain bodyweight, chins will get more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenden View Post
    Whatever you do, remember that as you gain bodyweight, chins will get more challenging.
    Yes, and not doing them is a sure way to make them even more challenging when you do end up doing them.

To the OP:
    I know exactly what you are going through as I was exactly in the same situation as yourself a while ago. I gained weight and failed to keep my chins going, and while I didn't loose a lot of chin strength, I feel I didn't take the opportunity to get as strong as I could at them. Don't leave them out.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok I will start scheduling chinups right after the PC , I will have to see if I can do them after a heavy deadlift(don't think I can) but the goal would be to be able to do 10X3XBW no matter how "fat" I get(can currently do like 6? 5?)

I will keep you posted, because chinning after a 5 set PC isn't easy at all, hope I can reach my goal
    Last edited by SmokingSnake; 11-16-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast