starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Military Deployment training

Default Military Deployment training

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello all,
    I am deploying soon to Afghanistan and my patrol base will have no weights of any kind, so I'm looking to discuss ideas for a training program without weights for STRENGTH! I have searched and seen recommendations for crossfit and of course the push/pull/core endurance routines that are endlessly out there, but I guess I'm looking for the Starting Strength equivalent routine for BW Exercises and possibly tools such as sandbags, etc.... What are everyone's thoughts?

Semper Fi
    Tom M.

Maybe something useful here?
    RossTraining.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-ini-Ru4w

Doesn't Pavel have a book on this kind of stuff? prisoner something I think.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

I was with 3/7 recently at some different patrol bases several months ago... one machine gunner I know got absolutely jacked by working out by lifting his tow bar and a 240B. It'll be easier in the winter I think because water wont be running short. The First strike rations suck ass for protein. They're all carbs, so hopefully you'll have loads of MRE's and FSR's.

Chances are you're about to lose like 30 pounds though. that seemed to be the case for most guys. Stay safe man.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

you'd be surprised though man- by the time I left 2 weeks ago, even most of the smaller PB's had weights and benches. It's kind of a priority. If the PB is bigger than a tennis court, chances are it may have some weights.

While Starting Strength is the most effective protocol, it doens't lend itself to austere conditions well. Put together a routine that maximizes the use of whatever materials you have, keep your head down, and get back home to start the SS protocol.

Remember that the Novice Progression is based on regularly increasing the resistance on 5 major lifts. If you don't have access to a variety of different weights, you'll just get frustrated.

I got to experience both sides, one year with practically nothing, the next year with a gym. Did the best I could to maintain during the first year, but lost alot of strength. The good news is that strength is a persistent adaptation and whatever you lose will come back quickly.

Take care over there....

MAJ Damon Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Doesn't Pavel have a book on this kind of stuff? prisoner something I think.
    Convict Conditioning.

http://www.dragondoor.com/b41.html?g...FY5N5QodDHtpYA

Haven't read it, but it looks pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Convict Conditioning.

http://www.dragondoor.com/b41.html?g...FY5N5QodDHtpYA

Haven't read it, but it looks pretty damn good.
    Pavel's book on bodyweight training is The Naked Warrior: http://www.dragondoor.com/b28.html

Pavel usually focuses on technique and glosses over programming.

You could always do buddy squats. You warm up with a WM and move your way up to the fat bodies. Find some heavy shit and lift it over your head. Find some really heavy shit and lift it off the ground.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by damonwells View Post
    While Starting Strength is the most effective protocol...
    SS is not going to get you ready for Afghanistan. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast